collapse

Author Topic: To bleed or not to bleed  (Read 1973 times)

Offline naturalSelection

To bleed or not to bleed
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
Hey Guys, this is a 2 part post

Part 1.  Do you bleed your fish?  If so, how do you do so?  What differences have you noticed between a bled and un-bled fish?  Do some species not require bleeding?

I have read a bit about this technique but I never really do it.  My rockfish and perch seem to taste fine when left un-bled.

Part 2.  What brings this question up is several perch I shot this weekend.  I let them sit in the refrigerator for a couple days after the kill.  They were gutted but not bled.  Today when I filleted them, the meat was unusually gray in color.  However the fish smelled fine.  Would this have anything to do with a lack of bleeding?  Or is there another force at large turning my perch gray and unsavory?

Thanks for any responses!

Offline jason atlantis odonnell

Re: To bleed or not to bleed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
all the best meats are always bled, as afisherman i have always pulled gills on everything... that grey color, when you look close is the blood still in the little tiny veins in the flesh, it is fine , braining fish with a knife is great and all that, but if you brain enough fish you will cut yourself someday, i promise... just put the on the stringer pull some gills on each side... and the blood just poors out..to the pulse of a heartbeat!!!

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »
Bleed em

Kirby

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »
Brain and bleed, in this order, as soon as you can.  If you are going to gut your fish, make sure to wait for the fish to completely bleed out first.

A quick how to video:

Offline snapperhead

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
all the best meats are always bled, as afisherman i have always pulled gills on everything... that grey color, when you look close is the blood still in the little tiny veins in the flesh, it is fine , braining fish with a knife is great and all that, but if you brain enough fish you will cut yourself someday, i promise... just put the on the stringer pull some gills on each side... and the blood just poors out..to the pulse of a heartbeat!!!

+1 I am new to diving, but have fished my whole life. I have been bleeding all my fish for many years and wouldn't NOT bleed them now. I don't brain fish, except for Albacore, and that's so they don't bruise themselves while they are bleeding out; it also helps to keep the adrenaline to a minimum.

Offline underwater1

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
A friend of mine who is a professional Salmon fisherman swears by bleeding all fish out as soon as they are taken.  He puts his Salmon on a stringer, cuts the gills, then put them back in the by the boat untill they are bled out.

Offline WildernessWill

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 08:24:34 PM »
Sounds like your friend may be a professional sea lion feeder. I would never ever hang a salmon overboard.

Offline dustyyoungblood

• Original Spearfishing Equipment
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »
Plus one for bleed.

When we hook and line YT, we keep sea water in 5gal buckets on deck. Clip the gills and put the fish in the bucket head first. When it's all RED, we get a new fresh bucket and transfer the fish over once again. Its takes a little effort int he middle of a bite. But totally worth it in terms of quality.
Living the California dream

Offline John

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 05:48:07 PM »
Ike jime
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:25:40 PM »
Bleed

Gill and gut
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:36 PM »
Plus one for bleeding immediately. Pulling gills usually does the trick. And I gut them right after. Makes filleting fish easier once I get home

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt