collapse

Author Topic: North Island  (Read 2539 times)

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
North Island
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:05:57 AM »
Hey Everybody, I'm going to be traveling through the North Island of New Zealand for the majority of March. I was on the South Island many years ago and I won't mage the same mistake I made then, this time I will be diving.

As of now, I understand fishing licenses are not required for saltwater fishing, however they do have a fairly comprehensive list of minimum lengths for various fish and invertebrates. All in all though it seems the complexity of their fishing regulations pales in comparison to ours. I'm fairly confident on their rules and I plan to verify my understanding when I arrive prior to fishing.

What I would like input on is help with networking. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding locals who may want to go out. Or perhaps tips and advice from a previous trip. As of now I figure I'll ask around at dive shops and bait and tackle places. If I go out diving alone and end up with way too much fish I'll walk into a bar and try to make friends to share with.

I plan to fly back with a very heavy cooler full of New Zealand abalone, NZ lobsters, green lipped mussels, kingfish, snapper etc.

Anyone done similar?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:19:18 AM by IceColdChuck »
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
Re: North Island
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »
Where's New Zealang?

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
Hey Everybody, I'm going to be traveling through the North Island of New Zealang for the majority of March. I was on the South Island many years ago and I won't mage the same mistake I made then, this time I will be diving.

As of now, I understand fishing licenses are not required for saltwater fishing, however they do have a fairly comprehensive list of minimum lengths for various fish and invertebrates. All in all though it seems the complexity of their fishing regulations pales in comparison to ours. I'm fairly confident on their rules and I plan to verify my understanding when I arrive prior to fishing.

What I would like input on is help with networking. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding locals who may want to go out. Or perhaps tips and advice from a previous trip. As of now I figure I'll ask around at dive shops and bait and tackle places. If I go out diving alone and end up with way too much fish I'll walk into a bar and try to make friends to share with.

I plan to fly back with a very heavy cooler full of New Zealand abalone, NZ lobsters, green lipped mussels, kingfish, snapper etc.

Anyone done similar?

Yo dude, I totally forgot to tell you that I have a buddy Nick who works at Google who's originally a spearo from New Zealand. I'll PM him on Facebook and see about connecting you to. You'll like him. In exchange, you'll probably have to take him out when you dive next time. He lives in SF I believe.

Carpe piscem

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:20:08 AM »
Hey Everybody, I'm going to be traveling through the North Island of New Zealang for the majority of March. I was on the South Island many years ago and I won't mage the same mistake I made then, this time I will be diving.

Anyone done similar?

Yo dude, I totally forgot to tell you that I have a buddy Nick who works at Google who's originally a spearo from New Zealand. I'll PM him on Facebook and see about connecting you to. You'll like him. In exchange, you'll probably have to take him out when you dive next time. He lives in SF I believe.
Totally that would be awesome Pete
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
Give me a call chucky I have an uncle that lives near Whangerei (or however it's correctly spelled). He's a former Navy SEAL and an eccentric individual not unlike yourself. Avid fisherman with a boat. I dont think he spears much but i'm sure he knows loads about fish patterns and locals that dive.

Call me when you can.
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
Good Luck!! Looking forward to some vids!
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 12:34:19 PM »

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:42:59 PM »
Just for fun....

http://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/import-export-shellfish-fishery-products-fact-sheet.pdf
This did occur to me, and what I found was that yes I need to declare it but that it shouldn't be a problem seeing as it was caught recreationally, everything will be frozen/dead, and it is intended for personal consumption.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:46:10 PM by IceColdChuck »
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline IceColdChuck

-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
Also, dry ice and freezing prior to shipping is the name of the game. It worked well for me bringing beef to Europe ten years ago.

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
Also, dry ice and freezing prior to shipping is the name of the game. It worked well for me bringing beef to Europe ten years ago.
Could you elaborate? I haven't quite decided on how I plan to get everything preserved prior to flying I was going to consider myoptions when I was there. One of which was buy a bunch of dry ice and denatured alcohol and do the flash freezer trick just prior to flying.
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
North Island
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »
"bringing beef" is a euphemism... 

It was as simple as freezing steaks in vacuum packs and carrying them in a meal size cooler surrounded by dry ice. You may want to look into airline regulations for larger containers. Dry ice may present TSA problems? Don't plan on being able to buy it in NZ.

Just remembered, I think I know an NZ spearo too. He's a Californian, and might work for Neptonics NZ.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:27:28 PM by jjjjeremy »

Offline kathy

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »
Check out Mt. Maunganui.

After you get out of the water in Mt. Maunganui you must go here to warm your bones, this place is epic. Excellent campground at the base of the mountain you can walk right into the water then walk right into the hot saltwater pools afterward. I wish we had one of these here.

http://www.bayvenues.co.nz/VENUES/Aquatic+Venues/mounthotpools.html

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »
"bringing beef" is a euphemism... 

It was as simple as freezing steaks in vacuum packs and carrying them in a meal size cooler surrounded by dry ice. You may want to look into airline regulations for larger containers. Dry ice may present TSA problems? Don't plan on being able to buy it in NZ.

Just remembered, I think I know an NZ spearo too. He's a Californian, and might work for Neptonics NZ.
I'll check into the legalities of purchasing dry ice in NZ, I'm sure I could find it at the first place that sells industrial gases. Whether or not it had any special regulations in NZ who knows. And as for shipping dry ice, I think as long as my cooler is full, and everything is frozen solid well below freezing, I think it should last the flight without additional dry ice for packing. Then all I have to do is plan for baggage costs.

The worst that could happen is it goes horribly rotten, I leave it in baggage claim, and don't have anything to declare. :-)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:44:24 PM by IceColdChuck »
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt