collapse

Author Topic: Help with shaft line and crimps needed  (Read 8024 times)

Offline John

Re: Help with shaft line and crimps needed
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
Fyi, you can use weed wacker line as well, I believe its pretty much the same thing and much cheaper.

Do not use weed wacker line for shooting line , it is nowhere close to the same thing and  will fail at a very low pound test

Funny I just noticing that the weed whacker line at Lowe's was made by Shakespeare
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 11:00:33 PM »
Oops, forgot to post my belt stringer set up.

It's pretty basic. On one side of my belt, I have a clip that connects one end of the belt stringer. I've seen two good ones. Here are links to them:

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/Weight-Belt--Pocket-Holding-Clip-11652
http://www.neptonicsystems.com/belt-clip-point.php

Personally, I use the cheap pocket holding clip...it's $0.89....

I have that attached to my belt, and then I have a little loop of shooting line tied to it. That's my connection point for my stringer.

For my stringer, I have a piece of shooting line with a loop at one end, and the top of a spearshaft on the other. Imagine this, but made out of shooting line material rather than braided stainless steel:

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/stringers.php

Here's where it gets complicated (not really)...

On the loop end, I put it through the hole at the bottom of a tuna clip, and then put the loop over the top of the tuna clip. This makes a lark's head hitch at the bottom of the tuna clip. I do this so that when I want to take fish off the stringer, I don't have to re-thread the metal tip back through the fish. Instead, I just un-loop the lark's head hitch, and the loop comes right off the tuna clip. Easy peasy. Here's a link on how to tie a lark's head hitch:

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-pocket-full-of-knots./step8/Larks-Head-Hitch/

The only pain in the ass part that I had to build myself was the sheath for the pointy part of the belt stringer. For that, I took a piece of 2" wide webbing (I bought this at Diver Dan's...it's super cheap and you buy it by the inch I believe) and folded it to make the pocket. I then riveted it shut. I looks pretty S&M, but it does the job really well.

Hopefully that all made sense. I attached a bunch of pictures to help show what I'm talking about.

PS: I just switched from coated weights to Charlie's hydro weights. Didn't think I would notice a difference but I totally did. Wayyyyyy better.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:04:25 PM by StinkyPete »
Carpe piscem

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 01:02:35 AM »
I used to run my stringer that way Pete.  I quit because the line cut through the fish so I switched to mono. I also switched from the tuna clip to a brass double ended clip because I didn't like the ring hitch with mono.

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 11:24:39 PM »
I used to run my stringer that way Pete.  I quit because the line cut through the fish so I switched to mono. I also switched from the tuna clip to a brass double ended clip because I didn't like the ring hitch with mono.

That also makes sense. I use tuna cord. What I like about this set up is that I have a bag with a roll of tuna cord, some spearshaft tips, and some tuna clips ($1 each) and I just make as many as I need if I'm in a pinch.

But yeah, either way would work fine. I use the double under for my halibut stringing set up
Carpe piscem

Offline DG

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:17 AM »
Thanks for those tips and detailed instructions.  I did make my own spear line and made it a tad smaller than the original and it seems to shot better.  Glad I gave it a try and now I have parts that should last a few years. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »

That also makes sense. I use tuna cord. What I like about this set up is that I have a bag with a roll of tuna cord, some spearshaft tips, and some tuna clips ($1 each) and I just make as many as I need if I'm in a pinch.

But yeah, either way would work fine. I use the double under for my halibut stringing set up

Where are you finding tuna clips for one dollar?

Offline John

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 08:35:56 AM »
Cheapest I have found is $2.27 each for the 12 pack at Neptonics...(after $7 shipping)
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
Was getting my clips at one of the Vietnamese fishing stores in San Jose. Got my tuna cord there too. Not sure what the name is but it was next to Lee's Sandwiches
Carpe piscem

Offline Chet

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »
Was getting my clips at one of the Vietnamese fishing stores in San Jose. Got my tuna cord there too. Not sure what the name is but it was next to Lee's Sandwiches

That's fishery supply
978 Story Rd, San Jose, CA 95122

I got mine from there too.
Dive and Fish.
San Jose, CA

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 11:04:23 AM »
I think that's the one! They're an awesome shop.

Rob, you'll get a laugh if you go by there. They have photos of like 50 Vietnamese guys with these monster fish, and then, right near the middle is a picture of Dan, on scuba, with a big male sheepshead...

Made me chuckle.
Carpe piscem

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 10:49:26 PM »
I think that's the one! They're an awesome shop.

Rob, you'll get a laugh if you go by there. They have photos of like 50 Vietnamese guys with these monster fish, and then, right near the middle is a picture of Dan, on scuba, with a big male sheepshead...

Made me chuckle.

Lol, now I have to go!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt