collapse

Author Topic: Help with shaft line and crimps needed  (Read 8011 times)

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
Re: Help with shaft line and crimps needed
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »
Fyi, you can use weed wacker line as well, I believe its pretty much the same thing and much cheaper.

Do not use weed wacker line for shooting line , it is nowhere close to the same thing and  will fail at a very low pound test

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »
Trimmer line is made to be more brittle so that it will break when it hits something hard. 

Offline Rick W

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »
I use mono and crimps for my belt stringer

Hey Chuck -- an chance you could post a picture of your belt stringer for some of us new guys? I'm still working on dialing in my gear.

Glad you got of your last dive safely BTW
There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 09:36:18 PM »
Look at Neptonics stringers

Offline DG

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I did have some weed eater line available that I used for some crab snares but will refrain from putting it on my gun just in case it doesn't have comparable test strength to mono line..  I have a crimper and some crimps from other projects I did this past year.  So I only needed mono line.  I ordered some 250 lb line so hopefully it's a tad thinner than what I have now.  If I need to change thickness later it will not be a big deal as I will find something else to use it for. 

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »
Trimmer line is made to be more brittle so that it will break when it hits something hard.

That seems like a fairly obvious oversight on my part. 

I use mono and crimps for my belt stringer

Hey Chuck -- an chance you could post a picture of your belt stringer for some of us new guys? I'm still working on dialing in my gear.

Glad you got of your last dive safely BTW

This is a current close up photo I have of my right side belt set up. The other side is basically a D ring to which the mono line connects through a quicklink. Some people don't like belt stringers for good reasons but I like to swim a good distance from my kayak/float and I don't like going back for every rockfish.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 09:57:05 PM »
Looks about right. I'll snap a pic of my belt stringer tomorrow. Looks about the same
Carpe piscem

Offline Rick W

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 08:05:08 PM »
Looks about right. I'll snap a pic of my belt stringer tomorrow. Looks about the same

Thanks Guys. I think us new guys will get a lot out of this thread.

Rob102 shared nice pictures of his setup, which also looks clean and well thought out.

You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
My stringer

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 11:37:53 AM »
DG contact sturgill, they have a everything you need,

http://www.sturgillspearfishing.com/collections/speargun-rigging-supplies
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »
http://www.neptonicsystems.com/crimper.php

I bought the kit for with blue 300lb mono to match my RA spear.

Video of how to do it.

I am in San Carlos if you are nearby i could meet you and whip one up.  No way I am going to burn through 150ft of mono anytime soon.

+1.

The Neptonics crimping kit seems like the way to go...$46 for the tool and the mono and 25 crimps.

Good luck Duane!

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »

Video of how to do it.

I am in San Carlos if you are nearby i could meet you and whip one up.  No way I am going to burn through 150ft of mono anytime soon.

+1.

The Neptonics crimping kit seems like the way to go...$46 for the tool and the mono and 25 crimps.

Good luck Duane!

Sincerely,

Jim

I have the Neptonics kit and like it. I should probably change my mono more than I do, but I keep that kit in the car with me in case anything needs to be changed around. It's nothing totally fancy, but it seems to have held up well so far.

I've also bought the Mako kit, which was nice enough for the price but didn't come with everything I needed. Also, the rubber on the handles started moving around after a few crimp jobs on lines.
Carpe piscem

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »

Video of how to do it.

+1.

Good luck Duane!

Sincerely,

Jim

I have the Neptonics kit and like it. I should probably change my mono more than I do, but I keep that kit in the car with me in case anything needs to be changed around. It's nothing totally fancy, but it seems to have held up well so far.

I've also bought the Mako kit, which was nice enough for the price but didn't come with everything I needed. Also, the rubber on the handles started moving around after a few crimp jobs on lines.

Next time we dive maybe you can swap the line out on my stringers for me!

:D

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »

Video of how to do it.

+1.

Good luck Duane!

Sincerely,

Jim

Sincerely,

Jim

I bet your stringers are like new...and not because you take care of your gear.  :P
Carpe piscem

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »

Video of how to do it.

+1.

Good luck Duane!

Sincerely,

Jim

Sincerely,

Jim

I bet your stringers are like new...and not because you take care of your gear.  :P

:'(

LOL!!

F*cker.

;)

Sincerely,

Jim

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt