collapse

Author Topic: Boating safety course becomes mandatory in California in 2015  (Read 3120 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Boating safety course becomes mandatory in California in 2015
« on: December 24, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »

Link to Ca Division of Boating and waterways web site with all the info:
http://dbw.ca.gov/BoaterInfo/SB941FAQ.aspx

Vessel Operator Card (SB941) Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is SB 941?
A: On September 18, 2014, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed Senate Bill 941, authored by Senators Bill Monning (D-Carmel) and Mark DeSaulnier (D-Concord), promoting boating safety education for California boat operators. The new law will require the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW) to develop the California Vessel Operator Cards (CVOC) and issue those cards to persons who provide proof that a vessel operator examination has been taken and passed beginning in January 2018. The new law was widely supported throughout the Legislative process by the Recreational Boaters of California, marine law enforcement and other marine organizations.

Q: When will boaters need to have a CVOC?
A: The new law will be phased in for the next several years. While the law goes into effect on January 1, 2015, the CVOC requirement will begin on January 1, 2018 for certain groups, and phased in through January 1, 2025, when all persons will be required to have the Card. The Division of Boating and Waterways will begin evaluating implementation, and setting up frameworks to comply with SB 941 beginning in 2015.

Q: Who will be required to have a California Vessel Operator Card (CVOC)?
A: The CVOC requirement will be phased in. On January 1, 2018, all persons 20 years of age and younger who operate any motorized vessel on waterways subject to the jurisdiction of the state of California must have in his or her possession a vessel operator card issued by California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW), unless they meet certain exemptions. (Age restrictions for operating a recreational vessel in California still apply. See Harbors and Navigation Code Section 658.5) Each year thereafter, a new age group will be added to those who are required to possess a valid vessel operator card in order to operate a motorized vessel on California waters. In 2025, all persons who operate a vessel on California waters must possess a valid vessel operator card. Once issued, a CVOC remains valid for a boat operator's lifetime.

Q: How will the CVOC be phased in?
A: The new California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 678.11(b) contains the following schedule to have a CVOC based on operator age by the following dates:

January 1, 2018 Persons 20 years of age or younger
January 1, 2019 Persons 25 years of age or younger
January 1, 2020 Persons 35 years of age or younger
January 1, 2021 Persons 40 years of age or younger
January 1, 2022 Persons 45 years of age or younger
January 1, 2023 Persons 50 years of age or younger
January 1, 2024 Persons 60 years of age or younger
January 1, 2025 All persons regardless of age

Q: Who will be exempt from the having an operator card?
A: Per the language included in SB 941, the following persons will not be required to have a CVOC to operate a motorized vessel on California waterways when the requirements go into effect beginning in January 2018:

A person who is a resident of a state other than California who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 60 days and meets the boating requirements, if any of his/her state.
A person who is a resident of a country other than the United States who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 90 days and meets the boating requirements, if any of his/her country.
A person operating a vessel while under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who is in possession of a CVOC issued by DBW.
A person operating a vessel in an organized regatta or vessel race, or water ski race.
A person operating a rental vessel.
A person who is in possession of a current commercial fishing license.
A person who is in possession of a valid marine operator license, for the waters upon which the licensee is operating, issued by the United State Coast Guard, or who is in possession of a valid certificate issued pursuant to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
A person who has successfully completed a boating course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

Q: What if I have already taken a boater education course or take one before 2018? Will it take the place of the new CVOC requirement when it goes into effect?
A: DBW is reviewing the newly adopted law to determine whether we will accept proof of passing a boater education course that was taken prior to the requirement being phased in beginning in January 2018. DBW always recommends that boaters take safety courses for boating. Boat operators may take a course now, but there is no guarantee that it will be accepted by DBW in order to receive a CVOC when the CVOC requirement goes into effect January 1, 2018.

Q: What courses will be approved to receive an operator card, and how will I find them?
A: DBW is currently reviewing the newly adopted law, and this information will be provided prior to the roll out in 2018. However, DBW strongly recommends that all persons that operate a boat take a safety course. Some safety courses can be found on www.dbw.parks.ca.gov.

CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline DG

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
Well us old folks get a break before we are required to get one.  And then if you don't want to go through the process you can put the boat in your wife's name and rent it from her for $1.00 each time you go out because rentals don't need one.  One more way to squeeze money out of citizens.  The people who almost never take a boat out like the rentals are the ones who need to be safer.  They could review a one page form on safety and rules of the water before they rent anything.  But instead everyone else has to take an actual test.  This is why people don't trust regulators.

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
Re: Boating safety course becomes mandatory in California in 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
This state is getting Stalin.... I mean stupid
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
Really, a guy that rents a boat do sent need one.  My buddy has had his boat for 20+years and even on the roughest of days would put my life and all 3 of my boys in his hands. WTF???
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
What a crock.  Proposed by Dems, singed into law by a Dem.   Hope all you who kayak dive are ready...
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline J.lata808

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
glad ive got my 100 ton, they just put this kind of law into effect in November

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:22:10 PM by J.lata808 »

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
What a crock.  Proposed by Dems, singed into law by a Dem.   Hope all you who kayak dive are ready...
This law only applies to motorized vessels correct?
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »

So far.  How long until they include vessels under sail?  Then just vessels?

I don't know how many boating accidents there have been this year to require a new law, but in road traffic you need several accidents and a fatality just to get a stop light.

My best guess is there are a couple motivators for this law.  One obviously is increased revenue in the form of licenses and tickets, but the big one is probably the environmental agenda.  This will eliminate a lot of boaters.  All kids on PWC's will need licenses, less boaters on lakes, rivers, and the ocean.  The state has already closed my state park and the only public boat ramp on the river here.  Thank God the city took it over.  This is just another way they are outlawing our culture.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »

So far.  How long until they include vessels under sail?  Then just vessels?

I don't know how many boating accidents there have been this year to require a new law, but in road traffic you need several accidents and a fatality just to get a stop light.

My best guess is there are a couple motivators for this law.  One obviously is increased revenue in the form of licenses and tickets, but the big one is probably the environmental agenda.  This will eliminate a lot of boaters.  All kids on PWC's will need licenses, less boaters on lakes, rivers, and the ocean.  The state has already closed my state park and the only public boat ramp on the river here.  Thank God the city took it over.  This is just another way they are outlawing our culture.

someone see's the light !!! I agree with you Rob there is more to this !!!
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 12:00:59 PM »
I am wondering about reciprocity with ORs safety course I did 6 months ago. CA is not calling me back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DG

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
I am wondering about reciprocity with ORs safety course I did 6 months ago. CA is not calling me back.
Welcome to CA.  If CA loses out on some fee then there will probably not be reciprocity.  Or at least it would be shocking if they allowed it. 

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 02:48:25 PM »
Is my understanding in re-reading this correct that there is currently no rule for someone over 40 currently for any certifications?

Offline DG

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »
Is my understanding in re-reading this correct that there is currently no rule for someone over 40 currently for any certifications?

Haven't read it in awhile but do remember it being implemented by age groups staring with the youngest boaters. 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 09:12:15 PM »
Well us old folks get a break before we are required to get one.  And then if you don't want to go through the process you can put the boat in your wife's name and rent it from her for $1.00 each time you go out because rentals don't need one.  One more way to squeeze money out of citizens.  The people who almost never take a boat out like the rentals are the ones who need to be safer.  They could review a one page form on safety and rules of the water before they rent anything.  But instead everyone else has to take an actual test.  This is why people don't trust regulators.

The rentals down here drive like d*cks, like doing 30 knots in the 5 knot zone, passing on the right side of the channels and tailgating all the time. I honestly think they are the only people who need to take a test.  Looks like I'm going to have to get the stupid card and I've been driving a boat since I could walk.

Offline DG

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »
The rentals down here drive like d*cks, like doing 30 knots in the 5 knot zone, passing on the right side of the channels and tailgating all the time. I honestly think they are the only people who need to take a test.  Looks like I'm going to have to get the stupid card and I've been driving a boat since I could walk.
I don't agree with it Ryan but guess a slow implementation by age will teach safety standards from the beginning.  I know you are a better boat operator than most.  Had two boats buzz by us in a no wake on our last trip out of Noyo.  Have no clue what the hurry was just to get a few feet in front of us. 

And others were trolling in between two urchin boats and had to be told what the dive flag meant by their crew. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast