collapse

Author Topic: Shaggy Mane?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Alex C.

Shaggy Mane?
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
I'd like to confirm the identity on this colony of fungi. They popped up this morning on the lawn at my school here in Southern California. Thanks for your help guys!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Alex C.

Offline Alex C.

Re: Shaggy Mane?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »
Sweet! Sorry for the stupid question, how do you quantify a mature one? Total height? Time since sprouting? Color change on cap?
Alex C.

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »
Alex Ceja???
Bro??? did the nor cal mushroom bug bite you?
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline lazyhook

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »
Sweet! Sorry for the stupid question, how do you quantify a mature one? Total height? Time since sprouting? Color change on cap?

A "mature" shaggy mane is one where the bottom of the the cap starts to open and blacken as in your second picture.  At that point, they will disintegrate pretty fast.  The stems (aka stipes) will be the last to go.  Unlike most other mushrooms, their shelf life is measured in hours rather than days.

Some people don't like the taste (but they're a favorite amongst my mushroom friends).  It can be a bit metallic.  Also, unlike almost all other mushrooms, which can be just cut up and dry-sauted before adding some sort of oil/butter, they require a bit different method.  The best preparation I've found is to separate caps from stems and cut both up lengthwise. Dunk the pieces in a milk bath and then dust with flour/pepper.  Fry in oil until browned.  Egg washes and/or bread crumbs tend to be a bit too heavy.

One other thing to consider for any mushroom found in a lawn is whether any chemicals/pesticides/fertilizers have been used.  Mushrooms tend to be pretty good at accumulating heavy metals and toxins.  They're actually a pretty easy mushroom to grow.  Since they disintegrate so fast, you'll never find them in any store, but places that sell mushroom kits and inoculated bricks frequently have them for grow-at-home kits.

Offline Alex C.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for all of the info!
Alex C.

Offline Alex C.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
Jack! Yes!
Alex C.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast