collapse

Author Topic: 2014 ROTY Results  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Joshua R.

2014 ROTY Results
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »
The 2014 ROTY was great. If you cancelled because of the forecast, you missed out on some of the best diving of the year. Inside Caspar cove the waves at the beach were 2 feet tall and the visibility inside the cove was over 35 feet.

We had 10 rookies signed up this year but only 5 showed up on tournament day, with two divers in the first year category.  It was a good group, the divisions were pretty evenly matched and everyone was stoked that the conditions were so good.

The day was full of excitement from the beginning. Two of the divers, Gilbert and Steve, came all the way from Wisconsin so they had called and asked Blake to open sub surface early so they could rent a kayak and some gear but when we got to the beach that morning their rental car had a flat tire. One member of Team Wisconsin had a kayak from the campground and all his gear so they chose to split up and get one guy in the water while the other fixed the flat and went to sub surface to get his gear but while he was fixing the flat two of the other divers went up to subsurface, rented a kayak and bought some other gear so when they were done Blake went home. Gilbert missed Blake by a few minutes and then made the mistake of calling the rental car agency while waiting for subsurface to open and was instructed to take the car to Willits for repair. By the time he got back to the beach it was noon. I helped him get in the water but his buddy was nowhere in sight. He ended up diving with a couple of the other rookies on the south side of the cove and managed to get his first abalone ever for the tournament.

Team Wisconsin wasn’t the only team providing us with entertainment that day. One of the first year rookies was a friend of mine that I took out a couple times this year. Saturday was Collin’s third dive ever and since it was a tournament he came prepared. One of the dives he’d done with me was during the BABL in June so he knew that if you want to pull tens, you need a ten inch gauge. Had the swells outside the cove been better we would have been diving where tens were more possible so it was a good idea that he had it. The problem with pulling nines with a ten inch gauge didn’t arise until weigh in when he announced that he’d pulled two that were definitely within an inch of ten and one that was probably just shy of nine inches. That’s when we found out that his ten inch gauge was a nine inch gauge and sure enough, he’d pulled two big 8’s and a healthy 7 7/8.

I met one of the divers at the campsite the night before the tournament. Benny is, I think from Malibu but lives in Sacramento now. He had a tent that sits on the top of his truck racks and extends out to the side so it ends up being twice the size of the bed of the truck and there’s a ladder that goes up to it. After he got set up we sat at the store for a while and watched the warden bust a group of poachers. They thought it was ok if only one of them dove and pulled all four of their limits. Benny turned out to be the man of the day Saturday turning in an impressive stringer, two nine inch abs and a big 8.

In the end,

Collin won the first year division with one of his big 8’s. He gets a $250 gift certificate at the Freedive Shop.
Benny won the 2-3 year division for biggest ab. He also gets a $250 gift certificate at the Freedive Shop.
Benny won the fish division. This year we did a one species, fish division. The species was announced the morning of and Benny won with a 14” kelp greenling. He gets an additional $100’s at the Freedive Shop
And Steve wins the second place ab. He gets half off a level one FII course from Ian Elstrom.

Congratulations to all of this years rookies.

Thank you to the Freedive shop for their generous donation of a $250 gift card.
Alex and Team USA for their donation of a $100 gift ceritificate,
and Ian Elstrom for donating half off of a level one FII class.

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
Re: 2014 ROTY Results
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »
Hahaha, sounds like it was quite a riot. I met with team Wisconsin on Friday night before their drive up, could not have anticipated all those pitfalls that would befall them.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
Good job and congrats to the winners!

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »
Very cool!!!

Congrats to all!!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 12:26:46 AM »
Yep, Team Wisconsin was a shit show for sure :) but we managed a good time anyways. We just had to mello out after massive scratches by yaks on the rental car and hitting a massive boulder with the side wall of the tire.

Everyone was cool and supportive despite our Midwest dis-function, my far to obsessive nature paired with severe Jet lag, and my buddies ability to hit big freaking rocks.

That float line was perfect Chuck. Thanks.

Despite our craziness, we may be back next year. If you'll have us!

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 12:28:53 AM »
Big thanks to Josh for his hard work and all the contributing sponsors. this is a great event with a good purpose to support us newbies. I am grateful.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 12:36:49 AM »
A couple of Pics from Team Wis

Gil pulled his first ab at the Roty

I shot my first Cab

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 01:18:31 AM »
The Cab

Offline Jason Blalock

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »
Very nice! Congrats guys

Offline Benny

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 05:05:44 PM »
Thanks again Josh for your generousity and efforts. Its was a fun dive and was great to take advantage of some unforeseen good conditions. I'm happy to have met all that showed up to dive, along with meeting Don and Rob, good stuff. Hope to see you guys out there again soon

Here's my haul for the day.

Offline DG

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »
Sorry I missed it.  All I remember back in May to July is a brief post and then one that was convoluted about who was hosting it. As a new diver I guess there was just to many things to learn and to many things for my Calendar.  Unfortunately this got overlooked because of the lack of mention in the last few months.

Either way glad you guys got out and made a good day of it.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:48:14 PM »
It was nice meeting you Benny.
Nice job out there.

Offline Jason Blalock

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:10 AM »
Good job out there guys!

Offline WET ROOSTER

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 09:43:57 AM »
It was a great day and weekend!  I want to thank Josh for all his work and time in introducing me to the sport!  He spent a lot of time this past season explaining and showing me the right way to do things in and out of the water.  I definitely have a good base to grow on as a freediver now.  As Josh said, the weather wasn't as bad as it looked...great conditions = memorable moments and that's what I got.  What Josh forgot to mention was that during my first attempt to enter the water on the Kayak, I got flipped because I suck on a yak! LOL and lost my frickin snorkle!  and because I'm still learning, I didnt have a back up.  I was like WTF? I can't believe this is happening....  As I was coming back to shore, dragging my sorry butt out of the water I motioned to Josh and his buddy that I had lost my snorkle, both started laughing and Josh started shaking his head (hahahaha).  His buddy, (whom I cant recall by name but will be remembered forever), stepped up and loaned me his back up snorkle and the day was saved. Needless to say I now have backups, LOL! 

I was excited to meet other new and seasoned divers that morning as well,  but one of the best parts of the whole day to me was when I exited the water that afternoon.  As I dragged my Yak, (borrowed from Josh), out of the water the skies just opened up and started to dumped sheets of rain, and that's when I felt it, Peace. For the first time that season I felt at peace with myself and my surroundings.  My heart was calm and my breathing was slow.  I saw my surroundings in a new light.  No longer was I overwhelmed by the task I had just completed, I was now comfortable with the new skill set I had obtained.  It was a moment of clarity and accomplishment that I will never forget...what a day indeed. 

With my 1st place prize I bought a new Rob Allen 800 Snapper Rail gun from the Freedive Shop!  The thing is frickin awesome!  Thanks again to all that made this great event happen.  I Look forward to meeting more of you guys in the future and for the chance to improve my skills. Have a great year!     

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt