collapse

Author Topic: What kind of mushroom? Picture 1  (Read 2661 times)

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
What kind of mushroom? Picture 1
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »
Conditions at Ocean Cove today were pretty bad; watched the ocean for hours waiting for a break.
What started out at nine am as totally undivable; was by noon better, except for a series of large and regularly timed sets, coming in at about every 14 to 16 minutes.
Those large sets would wipe out anyone near the shore. I spoke with a Sonoma County lifeguard who said the apparent calming of the ocean would lure the unsuspecting into the water and the large sets would then finish them off.

I only saw two kayakers (rod guys) come into the shore. They apparently did not see one of these large sets that came in just before they got to the break zone. It would have wiped them out for sure. These waves turned the entire cove into foam and white water. One guy did get knocked off by a much smaller (still big for shore work) wave but he was close to shore and able to get out.

This experience reinforced a lesson I had already learned: take a little time and watch the water before I hurry in.

Anyway, what kind of mushroom is this? Due to size limitations; I will post another photo of the other side in a post titled "What Kind of Mushroom? Picture 2

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
Re: What kind of mushroom? Picture 1
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:01:35 PM »
Here is Picture 2. It looks like the famed Death Cap.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DWL707

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 06:04:31 AM »
Russula rosacea or xerampelina, if I had to take a guess

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
+1 on the russula, death caps are typically white with the "egg" shape at the bottom of the stalk
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
So is it edible? I forgot to ask.

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
From what I heard they aren't poisonous, however known to keep you on the toilet for a while. Oh.... and they taste terrible from reports.
DEATH CAP: NO WAY JOSE, just drink enough moonshine for a slower liver torure

Offline DWL707

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »
So is it edible? I forgot to ask.

For your own safety, you should be able to identify mushrooms better before asking that question.

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
Agreed, look up your local mycological group, there is a lot you can learn from proper taxonomy practices

Offline kathy

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
For those of you adjacent to the bay area, this is happening tomorrow at the Bone Room on Solano:

A Lecture Unlike Any Other

California is one of the most ecologically rich and diverse regions of North America, and home to thousands of species of mushrooms. Mycologist Dennis Desjardin is one of the authors of California Mushrooms, a mycology field guide to be released this Spring, and he will be speaking this Thursday at the Bone Room Presents about the mushrooms of our state, their morphology, habitat, edibility, comparisons with look-alikes, and guidelines on collecting and identifying them.

He is Professor of Biology at San Francisco State University, has published over 130 scientific papers describing 235 new species and 7 new genera of mushrooms, and has active research projects in the Hawaiian Islands, Micronesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brazil, and the African islands of São Tome and Principe.

He is the Scientific Advisor of the Mycological Society of San Francisco, which is hosting the upcoming 45th Annual Fungus Fair.

Thursday December 4th
7-9pm
The Bone Room Presents
1573 Solano Ave, Berkeley
www.boneroom.com
Questions? Call (510) 526-5252

Offline oldmanfishing

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 04:39:49 PM »

How bout this one ?

Offline Flipper

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
Kathy,

Wish you would have posted sooner. I'm very interested in expanding my knowledge of the mycological sciences beyond hunting for hedgehogs, oysters and black trumpets. I'll look for Dennis' book and hope that someone will drag me along on one of their forays in the near future. Nothing like abalone and sauted black trumpets with a white wine reduction.
The more I learn, the less I know.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast