collapse

Author Topic: Any monofin folks out there?  (Read 845 times)

Offline grummy

Any monofin folks out there?
« on: January 01, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
I am wondering if there are any other folks out there who are interested in doing some monofine diving. I am not sold that a monofin is the best way to go for hunting but I thank it is a very elegant way to do some freediving for the pure pleasure of diving. Any one else?
Mike Grummell
Santa Rosa CA
Mike Grummell
Santa Rosa CA

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

Re: Any monofin folks out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »
 Im game I would love to try it like you said just for the pleasure of freediving let me know what you find out and id be up for some freediving maybe in monteray??????
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline gsharp

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
Mike,

Do you have a monofin?  And if so, what kind?  I've played around using my dive fins and surf fins as monofins, and I like the feel of it a whole lot.  It is probably the closest we as humans can get to moving like a dolphin. 

I wouldn't mind giving your idea a good chance.
Glen Sharp

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 08:29:49 PM »
here is an address with a few mono fin videos http://www.otterbaysuits.com/Videos/VideoPointers.htm
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline grummy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
For those who are interested here is what i have learned. Starting out, it is best to get a soft fin so one can learn the proper kick. The fin that was most recommended to by a long way was the Nemo from warter way (same folks that make the Matrix fins) followed by the model 1. There are several companies that market good monofins, a special list is Waterway, Finis, Tropol, Leader and Special fins. My favorits where Waterway and Special fins. I settled on Waterway Nemo #2. I purchased it through Performance Freediving, I have taken there class and have had several contacts with them and liked there service. It appears that most of the fiberglass blades are made in the Ukraine and are very similar if not the same. if any one has more questions let me know and I will try and get you intouch with some one who can answer it. I don't know how long it will take to ship them but I will let you know how it works out.
Grummy
Mike Grummell
Santa Rosa CA

Offline gsharp

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »
Mike,

Do you use your monofin off the Sonoma coast?  You can get some good speed with those on.
Glen Sharp

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt