collapse

Author Topic: Dive training at Sonoma Lake just finished  (Read 991 times)

Offline DG

Dive training at Sonoma Lake just finished
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
Just finished two days of training with Jon Lata and other members of NCUH. 

I have been given conflicting information on when and if someone should take a dive class.  I have a new opinion now that I have taken the class.

I am truly glad that I learned some basics from guys on this site before going to push my limits, but also agree that if you were completely new you can gain lots of good info right from the start. That way as you build your skills they will become embedded in your brain the right way.  I had to modify a few things but they will not be to hard to change since I have only been diving for 6 months. 

If you are given the chance to dive with a world class guy/freediver you should take it.  It only makes it better that he welcomes past students to come out and train with new ones.  So if you are new you can learn a lot and build your skills and then come out and work on beating your previous records.

I doubled my breath holds and my depth during this class and was very pleased by doing so. 

Thanks to a few corrections by Jon and the loaning of a mask that fits better than any I have tried prior.  I just can't thank you enough.  And for the veteran divers that shared some other tips about spearfishing that I am sure will be beneficial in the future, I appreciate it and apologize if I asked to many questions.

Prior to the lake I was able to manage a 4 minute underwater breath hold.  I never timed them in the past but know the longest underwater breath hold prior was probably 1 minute.  Stars aligned for me to get that and I was so excited. I know that in no way translates into that long underwater when conditions are rough and I am excreting a lot of energy, but know I can push my limits in an emergency and hope it keeps me from panicking.

So I have never dove in a lake and was not sure what to expect.  After a few Practice dives I went for it and was able to dive to 70'.  As I approached 60' the temperature dropped a good 10 degrees or more and a sudden chill took hold.  The water went from murky to pitch black in an instant.  It was a little unsettling and I just was not expecting it.  I still managed to go and extra 10' before heading back.  It was obviously the longest trip back up since it was the deepest dive to date.  It just seemed like forever. 

I am now relaxing on the couch with a beer contemplating my next adventure.  Just can't wait to practice my new skills and return to one of his future classes to see how much I can improve. 

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
Re: Dive training at Sonoma Lake just finished
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
Very nice. 70' is an accomplishment.

Offline DG

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »

Very nice. 70' is an accomplishment.

I know.  I can't believe I achieved that.  I was amazed when I heard some divers often dive that deep for fish and thought it was out of reach.  I just wanted to get to 30' this year and not have to hurry back up for air.  So don't expect videos at 70' because my camera is only rated at 33' and I need to get more comfortable at that depth before trying any deeper in the ocean. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »
There's no need to dive 70' to spearfish, but if you decide to dive 70' it'll be easier now that you've been there.

Congrats on the depth and breath hold.

Offline BoneSaw

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
Should have came down to the steelhead and coho hatchery at the base of the dam, i would have given you a tour! there should be a chinook or two headed up the fish ladder

Offline DG

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »

Should have came down to the steelhead and coho hatchery at the base of the dam, i would have given you a tour! there should be a chinook or two headed up the fish ladder

That would have been cool. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt