collapse

Author Topic: Tied-In bands for solid muzzle  (Read 674 times)

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
Tied-In bands for solid muzzle
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:29:58 AM »
Since I don't like a slot in the muzzle of my guns for inserting the wishbones and installing bands, Phil Herannen showed me a cool way to tie my custom bands.

The wishbone is loose on both ends and you tie it with a (sort of) overhand knot.
600 lb. spectra for the loops (about 1.5" to the knot)
3mm dacron for the wishbones (I think mine are about 5")
whipping twine (Neptonics stuff works great)

Cut and taper the bands, shove the looped knot into the band with needle nose pliers and tie as usual with a constrictor knot.  Pull the knot on the loop (inside the band) tight up against the constrictor:

Cut the dacron wishbone and melt the ends with a lighter.  Run the end of the wishbone up through the spectra loop & back behind.  Loop the wishbone underneath it's self and pull it tight.

The hitch never slips but it's easy to untie and you can choke down on the wishbone easily if you want to shorten it for a bit more band pull.  Takes about 5 seconds to install or remove bands for storage, and the spectra and dacron will long outlast the life of the rubber.

-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Abdvrob

Re: Tied-In bands for solid muzzle
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:37:36 AM »
Great post Rich!! I was curious to know how that was done. I'll put this info. to good use real soon bro!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:55:43 AM »
Thanks rich, I am learning more about building spearguns from you than I ever thought I know.Thanks a ton of good info.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »
This is great information. Will it always be here in the forums to look back on when needed? Or can we put it in some sort of archives for future reference ???

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »
As far as I know, unless Matt or one of us moderator's remove something, it stays here and new topics roll in over the top of it.
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »
 Each time more info becomes available on building your own weapon I get more and more anxious to build my own. Now its time to put all this info to good use. Thanks for the great info
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt