collapse

Author Topic: U/W cameras  (Read 3463 times)

Calif_Diver

U/W cameras
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
ANY of you guys with U/W cameras  mind  answering a few  simple question? Im thinkin about buying one it the future, im thinking about one in the$4oo range and a housing, ive already found one or two choices ,my ? is about how long does the ones you use record video  and do you  mount it on your gun  most of the time,do you use it hunting on scuba?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: U/W cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »
floyd call me after 8pm and I will explain what i know the person I would recomend pm'ing is frakinshiny he is all into photog.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »
Depending on what you really hope to achieve and how nice of photo's you want, you will probably have to spend quite a bit more than $400!!! But again, it depends on what you're hoping for, do you want pictures or video or BOTH? If both, then get ready to join my world of thousands of dollars worth of photo and video gear. Unless you're happy with crappy natural light photo's and lousy quality video's, then you could get a small housed camera that will shoot video for a few minutes as well, for around $350-$400, but your options will be limited and I would recommend waiting until you could spend at least a thousand, at least!
Mike
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Calif_Diver

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
Hey Matt i didnt see this post  un till xmas,divin_cali im not looking to be a pro photographer  just something  for fun and maybe get some pics of buddies in the water, i know i wont spend thousands, ive seen a few videos and post on the other board  that  looked  good enough for me,In time  ill get one,thanks for the info.

cLathe

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »
I've got a Canon SD630 from a few years ago that I picked up a Canon housing for. I used it tons in the Pacific and gots lots of awesome pictures, but the lighting etc there worked with me. Most of the smaller point-and-shoot cameras nowadays work pretty well for what you're looking for, and you can get a few really good ones with an underwater mode (basically a software red-filter) for under 200, and a good 120'-rated housing for another hundred. I think for most hobby/non-serious use, you run into a diminishing returns situation after you spend about what you're looking for ie 400, since having to tote around strobes and a huge housing etc etc, is really prohibitive, especially when you've got a ton of other gear to lug around. One suggestion: get a Pelican case for the housing. Those clear plastic housings can get scratched pretty easily.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »
    If your looking for a cheap fun underwater camera costco sells an action sports camera complete set with an underwater housing for around $ 180.00 its pretty nice small lightweight and seems to be durable it also comes with a mount that looks like it will attach streight to your speargun. Deffinately perfect for just messin around and cheap enough that if it gets damaged your not throwing away 4-600 bucks hope this helps
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »
Like I said, it depends on what kind of quality you want. You can do the cheap, but that's what you'll get, cheap! There are a lot of options for the price range you're asking about, I was merely trying to say that if you feel like you will have any aspirations of decent photography, I would save your money and go a little further. You will need at least some kind of decent strobe to get any real color saturation in your shots. The same goes for video, without a decent light, you'll get nothing but monochromatic blues & grays. The amount you spend is entirely personal to what you want. It's kind of like the Harley thing, you buy the Sportster because they're cheap and hey, it's a hog! But as soon as you ride one of the full size Hog's, you wish you had went the extra pennies. Good luck with whatever you choose to do and trust me, you're gonna really like taking home pictures and video of your diving adventures, it's very rewarding!

Calif_Diver

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »
Thanks Guys for the info, iam a cheap bastard  but i think some of the video and the cameras i saw on the other board woudl serve me well in a price range i could handle later this  coming year,Diving cali your right about every thing you said and i agree, even though  i had to settle for the  smaller harley i love it .PS not a sporty.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »
I will say it again pm erickson frakinshiny he will help you.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »
I definitely concur with what Matt said, Frakinshiny knows a lot more of what's out there in the world of digital than I do!

Abdvrob

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »
I definitely concur with what Matt said, Frakinshiny knows a lot more of what's out there in the world of digital than I do!

C'mon Mike, I thought you knew EVERYTHING! :laughing7:

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 10:49:20 AM »
Heck Rob, the older I get the more I'm starting to realize how much I don't know!

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 05:33:49 PM »
Remember mike the older the young whipper snappers get the wiser we get :icon_thumright: :icon_biggrin:
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »
Canons are great cameras to start with, though you can get the same results with Olympus, Nikon, Fuji & Sony. Point & shoot is a great way to go and will keep the costs down. Any camera with at least 4 megapixels and up can give you enough resolution to print an 8.5x11 photo. Most of my friends shoot with either Canon, Nikon & Olympus--I'd say stick to those brands. Look for a camera that you can use for your family and other topside shots. Something that's easy to shoot with and then see if there's a housing for it. You'll want something that has basic features like auto white balance, Auto, Program mode, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority along with different presets like Portraits, Indoors, Outdoors, Landscape, etc. You'll want something that can shoot RAW format (think of it like a film negative), but if not, it's ok to have just JPEG.

Most cameras come with movie mode. 640x480 pixels with 30 fps (frames per sec) will give you great non-HD videos (checkout some of my youtube videos under "scubajunkee"). Some of the newer cameras now have 720p & 1080p HD videos, but you'll pay an extra $100-200 just for that feature.

Most housings are price from $150-250 and area good to about 130ft. When you check out the housings, make sure you can adjust it with your gloves on, it makes a difference--you won't notice it in Hawaii, but will get frustrated real quick if you can't do it with gloves on. Once you get the housing & the camera, just start shooting with it. Don't worry about the strobe and external lenses. You can use the on-board flash when you do macro shots, but should turn it off for anything past 3 ft in front of the camera, or you'll have a lot of backscatter. You'll want to get close to your subject, if you think you're close, try to get closer. Typically you'll start with your subject dead center on the photo, but should learn the "Rule of Thirds" of composition (google it) and you'll start getting more interesting shots. Try to get below your subject and shoot up, that way you subject with be the main focus and the blue/green water behind it will make it pop.

I started out with a Canon S40 (4MP) got a Canon housing, a strobe (flash), tray & arms (holds the housing & strobes together) & wide angle & macro lenses. The camera was ~$150 on CL, housing $180 from eBay, Inon D2000 strobe ($600 from Backscatter), ULCS tray & arms (~$150 at Backscatter). This camera is served me well for 2 years with great shots all around. Then I upgraded to a Canon S70, which Matt now owns. Last year I got a G10 for Christmas and bought a Canon housing and added my existing strobe & get killer results. Check out http://photos.ericsonreduta.com.

If you have more questions, please post it in our Photography section.

-Ericson

20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
Thanks for the scoop Ericson.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt