collapse

Author Topic: thailand tips  (Read 3211 times)

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
Re: thailand tips
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
Apart from Jeremy's bicycling and pegging experiences, some other things to avoid while in Thailand are the tiger temple and riding elephants. The tigers at the tiger temple aren't peaceful tigers that have been trained to interact peacefully with people, they're heavily drugged so that the monks can turn a profit on a tourist attraction, the elephants are similarly abused.

I dove koh chang many years ago it was disappointing. Koh Lipe , the similan islands,  koh phi phi lei and koh phi phi don are known for their exceptional diving. But many of these islands will take you considerable time to get to. A week is an awfully short time for such a long distance. But if you do go to Phuket, take the boat over to the tourist ghetto island of koh phi phi lei and then find somebody smalller than you and go get a drink at the reggae bar with the kickboxing ring where the tourists get free thai whiskey to fight each other.

The bounty has gone up to a bucket of rum with a straw, and I was a gentleman and chose someone my size and more sober than me.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:05:58 AM by Jeremy »

Offline Benny

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »

The best advice I can give you about Thailand is; always check for an "Adam's Apple".

...and watch out for rogue ping pong balls. Now you see it. Now you don't. Now its flying at your face. Don't be the first guy on the block to get herpes of the eye from a ping pong ball.

Offline dopesoup

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
OMG this is too funny..

Things I learned from this post

Dive Phi Phi & Similan islands
Dont jet ski or rent anything
Get a Thai massage. Great if you like "bicycling" and go tandem if your too big :o
Go to koh phi phi lei if you want to square up with another tourist.
Watch out for the adams apple.
& don't play any sort of ping pong!   :P

What up Iso. Looks like your gonna have a great time.

Derek
Go Deep!

Offline Patt.S

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »
December is the most expensive time to go especially down south you are not going to find a room for less than 200-300 us$$
And if u wan to spear fish u need to go way south. Go as far south as you can try to talk to some local fishermen and pay him to take you out otherwise you're not going to see shit.
 All the island n places mention are all over crowded by tourism and basically all natural resource are destroyed.. Very little coral reef left.
With that said, I'm going to be in koa Chang after my wedding up north in my village (where I was born) all dec..
Maybe I'll see you down there...have fun

Patt.s

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 11:14:56 PM »
$200 to $300?? You mean baht right?

Offline DG

thailand tips
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 07:50:06 AM »
Some of the chain hotels will cost that much but you can find deals if you look for locally owned. $200 would be like 6400 Baht.  1 dollar equals 32 or so Baht (THB).

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »
uhhh, in October/November it was never more than $30(dollars) per night. Sure, you can throw your money at American chains, and pay American prices, but then why go to Thailand? I got curious and saw that the "BEST" Hotel in Bangkok is $180 mid-December right now. Resorts in Krabi are up to $300, but I thought this was about diving. We had a good room with a private bathroom in Bankok for $15, a relatively great hotel in Phuket for $25, and relatively great rooms/hotels on Phi Phi Don for $10. You'll have to adjust your expectations for what constitutes a good hotel, though. If your expecting the Four Seasons, you'll have to pay Four Seasons prices (or take a bus to Cambodia).

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »
You can take an Elephant to Cambodia.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 11:35:28 AM »
I hear it's cheaper to get pegged in Cambodia too.

;)

Offline Chet

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 01:14:28 PM »
Cambodia is not cheap anymore like it was 10 years ago. You would be shocked how much you would spend in the city/tourist spots.
But you can cut the cost down and visit just the isolated islands like I did 2 years ago.
Here is my take on Cambodia.
If you want to enjoy the beach, natural resources, mangrove, isolated islands without breaking the bank.

Great place to eat and stay at a good price. You can camp at the bach or sleep inside a bungalow.
- $25 for whole day trip include breakfast and lunch. Stop for snorkeling, guided riverwalk, and last relax at the island. Cannot be beat
http://www.suntours-cambodia.com/index.html
- 4 days, 3 night foot included. Grand total $140.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g3183832-d1977776-Reviews-Koh_Thmei_Resort-Ream_National_Park_Sihanoukville_Province.html
- http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g325573-d1626393-Reviews-Ten103-Sihanoukville_Sihanoukville_Province.html
- http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2054859-d2693757-Reviews-Crusoe_Island_Beach_Camping_Bungalows-Koh_Ta_Kiev.html
-http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1532269-d1544191-Reviews-4_Rivers_Floating_Lodge-Koh_Kong_Koh_Kong_Province.html

Luxurious resorts for the rich:
- Cost a few thousands/nigh
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g325573-d2335506-Reviews-Song_Saa_Private_Island-Sihanoukville_Sihanoukville_Province.html
- http://www.miraxresort.com/

The only concern in Cambodia is robbery and traffic accident. It won't be safe to go out at night at an unknown place. Don't flash iphone, Rolex,or any sorts of that stuff. Also, don't go during Monsoon season. If you know a local, you are golden.
Traffic accident can happen at any time and it's usually fatal (head-on collision). Don't drive at night.

Saying so, I'll be in Cambodia this January and plan to see all the provinces, and then add a few more islands on my list.
You won't find any Pelagic here. The mud crab taste fantastic, try that.
Also this is a place to taste weird food if there is any on your bucket list.
tarantula, grasshopper, rat...you name it.

Dive and Fish.
San Jose, CA

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
Siem Reap is extremely inexpensive. When a dollar bill is the lowest denomination of currency accepted (and often preferred to riel) everything costs a dollar. Dinner, drink, taxi, book, pack of cigarettes, bottle of water, bucket of ice, t shirt, pants, a dollar. The fanciest hotel in Siem Reap, teak boiserie and everything, was $20 a night.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt