collapse

Author Topic: thailand tips  (Read 3046 times)

Offline isorabins

thailand tips
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »
Hey
Anyone gone diving in Thailand? Im thinking of taking a trip for a week in December. Seems like Phuket keeps coming up online, but wanted to see if anyone had any tips.
Thanks
Iso

Offline StinkyPete

Re: thailand tips
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »
LOL

Jeremy is our Thailand diving expert....
Carpe piscem

Offline DG

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
Khao Lak is driving distance from Phuket and I like it better than Phuket.  It's more of an old fishing village with some tourist stuff and you can find meals dirt cheap. We did stay in Phucket one night for $14. Check out wicked diving website as they give good info on area and what's available.  They provide diving trips to similan islands on liveaboards or day trips.  Some of the hotels also offer trips.   That's the only place I went in the water while there so don't know the others. I would definitely go back but don't want to be on a plane that long. Visit the similan islands, they are just awesome and the wild life is abundant.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 08:50:11 PM »
Reporting for duty!

Yeah, Thailand has some great diving. I dove out of Phi Phi island, and spend a lot of time in Phuket. Pretty much, all diving in Phuket will take you out to the sites around Phi Phi island, or something similar. You can usually do similar trips out of Krabi, which may be less expensive. However, I wasn't impressed by Phuket as a place to stay in general. Granted, at the time I was dealing with a loved one in a decompression chamber, but that's another story... Phuket is just a really big "island" that has nice beaches and everything, but doesn't have an island feel.

Before leaving I spoke with a woman via Scubaboard named Marcia (dive.with.marcia@gekkoscubadivers.com) who was a big help. I didn't end up diving with her, but she comes with good recommendations. She hosts dives that leave from Phuket, and does some travel arrangement as well. From what I understand, you'll pay the same price going through her, or finding accommodations on your own, because she takes a cut from the service provider, and doesn't mark up the consumer.

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »
Don't fall for the rent a jet ski scam. In fact, I am told by expats who live in Thailand...don't rent anything while you are there.
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline ChristoChristo

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
I second Phi Phi. I stayed in Krabi last December and took boats out to the islands. I definitely wished I stayed a little closer to all the amazing spots out there near Phi Phi. Have fun!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
Phuket is all sand and shallow, or was that Pataya....  I don't remember a lot about Thailand.

The best advice I can give you about Thailand is; always check for an "Adam's Apple". 

Offline Chet

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »
Go for a Thai massage  :D
It will be the best massage you ever have.Trust me.
Dive and Fish.
San Jose, CA

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »
I got a massage nearly every day I was in Bangkok. At one point I was assigned two ladies because I was too big for just one. One of them used an interesting massage technique that I wasn't familiar with, and didn't do much for me. It involved me lying face down, knees together and bent, with her riding my feet like a bicycle doing something on my back. That one was DEFINITELY a woman. In the future I'll take the Swedes if I have the choice. They're the right size for me.

I think I've primed this thread for Charlie to start talking about SE Asia. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:25:15 AM by Jeremy »

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »
I got a massage nearly every day I was in Bangkok. At one point I was assigned two ladies because I was too big for just one. One of them used an interesting massage technique that I wasn't familiar with, and didn't do much for me. It involved me lying face down, knees together and bent, with her riding my feet like a bicycle doing something on my back. That one was DEFINITELY a woman. In the future I'll take the Swedes if I have the choice. They're the right size for me.

I think I've primed this thread for Charlie to start talking about SE Asia. :)

Jeremy, I think the action that happened to you has a name...I believe the term is "pegging".
Carpe piscem

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 11:28:33 AM »
How many lady boys does it take to give Jeremy a full body acro massage including "bicycling" and "pegging"?
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline SpecialK650

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Bicycling: while standing a naked and aroused lady boy (usually of Thai decent), inserts his member into the mouth of the face down massage recipient, grabs the recipient's feet and then proceeds to pedal them.

This sounds like what you're describing Jeremy, correct?

LMFAO. This thread has now officially tainted my work computer

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
Apart from Jeremy's bicycling and pegging experiences, some other things to avoid while in Thailand are the tiger temple and riding elephants. The tigers at the tiger temple aren't peaceful tigers that have been trained to interact peacefully with people, they're heavily drugged so that the monks can turn a profit on a tourist attraction, the elephants are similarly abused.

I dove koh chang many years ago it was disappointing. Koh Lipe , the similan islands,  koh phi phi lei and koh phi phi don are known for their exceptional diving. But many of these islands will take you considerable time to get to. A week is an awfully short time for such a long distance. But if you do go to Phuket, take the boat over to the tourist ghetto island of koh phi phi lei and then find somebody smalller than you and go get a drink at the reggae bar with the kickboxing ring where the tourists get free thai whiskey to fight each other.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »
How many lady boys does it take to give Jeremy a full body acro massage including "bicycling" and "pegging"?

Apparently  the answer is two.

I did ride a little elephant Charlie.  I put the spurs to it and ran it right into the hotel lobby.  They were pissed!  I also rented a jeep and drove it through a wall into a restaurant.  They weren't too happy either but I gave them a handful of colored paper and they gave my keys back.  Then I rented another jeep.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt