collapse

Author Topic: how to clean the ab shell??  (Read 3452 times)

Offline mateo

how to clean the ab shell??
« on: December 17, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »
Hey guys,  Can any help me.. I am sure you gus know what to do. but i just started diving in Nov. so ya i am a greenhore. I cleaned the ab shell inside and out  and it still smells like old fish.  what should I use to get the smell off. i want to diplay it in the house  but it smells any help would be helpful...also what should i use to put on the out side of the shell to make it look like it's wet or shine. i was thinking of putting the same stuff you put on stained concrete to make it look wet. it's called "the wet look" for concrete. thanks

Matt

rangair94

Re: how to clean the ab shell??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:16:11 PM »
Allan pointed you in the right direction. That is the process I use for all mine. works well.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »
abalone ten will tell you how to clean them but i think the only way to get rid of the smell is time. theres alot of little critters that live on the abs shell so you gotta wait for them to decay.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »
The muratic acid should get rid of that smell al least it did on mine
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline mateo

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
Thanks for the info i will try it. I knew you all you know...

Matt

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 07:11:18 PM »
how long did the shell sit? did you dip the shell or dip the wire brush? my last two still smell and i dip the brush not the whole shell. it takes longer but comes out better.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »
Just follow the directions on abalone ten divers.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
Let the ants clean them out.

Abdvrob

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »
Let the ants clean them out.

+1!! Thats all I do.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:11:20 PM »
thanks for that link on cleaning a shell, never done  one in all these years but im goin to the next ones i get, especially if i get  a few tens.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
 My secret is vegetable oil lol after you clean the shell treat it with veggy oil and it takes the smell away also you can seal it with laquer
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
You will find a lot of little holes on larger ab shells these are from works and clams which bore into the shell.  there are little critters in there which die and stink. Muratic acid does a good job of cleaning the crud off the shell but it does not eat away the flesh of the critters.  I like to leave the shell outside for a while and let the ants and stuff take care of most of the work.  If you are going to do this leave it round side up like you find it on a rock.  When you use muratic acid it actuly eats away the shell.  If you leave it soak in the acid too long there will be nothing left. 

I like to use a containeer just larger than the shell and pour the acid over the shell and scrub it with a plastic bathroom scrubber.  This will let you control the area you are working on.  The red disolves faster then the mother of pearl colored area inside the shell. The muratic acid will also remove a lot of the darker greens and blacks on the inside of the shell.  I have been told that you can use wax to coat the inside of the shell to protect it. I have not tried this.

If there are a lot of little bore holes in the shell the muratic acid goes in there and keeps eating away at the shell while you are working on the rest.  If you have a smaller shell that does not have many holes in it and you take your time you can take all the red off and just have a mother of pearl ab shell.  I have attempted this with about 5 shells two had no holes the others had quite a few.  The three with holes came apart before I got all the red off due to the worm and bore holes letting the acid get inside the shell. The other two came out great. 

My wife gave both shells away one to her mom and one to her aunt.

If I have a large shell with bore holes I just clean them off to make the red stand out.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline rafterman

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 05:40:20 PM »
I soak mine in beach just a splash in a five gallon bucket, soak em...few days, clean with brush,wash em, let em dry, clear polyurethane. done.
Do what You want to do…

Offline gsharp

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »
I'm going to try your approach rafterman.  I've always let the Sacramento summer cook the sheels for a while and then brush them with a wire brush.  Then I put on a little CLR, let that dry and take a wire wheel on a drill to clean where it is necessary.  I have to do that two or three times.  I've used lacquer, but I bet polyurethane would work just as well.

It's work, but if soaking in diluted bleach does the job, I'm going to try that.

I've heard you can use a little vaseline to protect the mother of pearl, but I haven't had a problem doing what I do.
Glen Sharp

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt