General Discussion > Hotels and Camping

Lost Coast trek

(1/3) > >>

TrevorG:
Just back from a trek down the King's Range of the lost coast (Mattole -> Shelter Cove) and thought I'd share some photos. I highly recommend going if you haven't done it. It's a beautiful 24 mile stretch of coast. Wild. Rugged. Not easy, pack light. Be prepared for wind and sun and to get wet (if you don't want to wait at the impassable at high tide zones). We had a great time, treked about 8-10 miles each day the first two days, found some killer camp spots. I brought the mask, fins and ab iron but soon found these to be pretty useless except as conversation starters. The viz was probably the worst I've ever seen, but the water was warm (I dove in boardies). Truth is I don't know how anyone finds anything diving here, the sand is fine and dark and clouds up everything. Basically diving blind. It does look promising in some places (I thought so at least), but no abs, no fish, some urchin, shells, etc. basically what you see walking along the beach. I must say I didn't stay out long... you get the feeling you aren't alone out there, and not just because of all the seals (which are everywhere right now). To drive home this point along the beach we came across a baby GWS (half eaten - pic sucks but I took a close look at the snout and teeth, pretty sure it was a gws), a monster cab (bitten clean in half - that brown gull above it was as big as a turkey), a small dead porpoise (I couldn't tell what kind - not pictured here but I have a pic on a diff camera), four legs of a GPO (other half missing), and a massive dead sea lion bull (not pictured). The size alone of some of these animals was pretty staggering. Awesome place to get lost. Anyways thought I'd share. Feel free to pm me if you have specific Qs re the campsites or wtv.

Cheers,
Trevor

IceColdChuck:
Great report Trevor!!! I really need to do that Trek.

natraps:
Dear TrevorG,

Rapidly downplay the beauty. 
Do you want thousands of people joining the fray?

Glad you had a good workout.

Natraps

pclark:
Thanks for the report!

TrevorG:

--- Quote from: natraps on September 03, 2014, 02:08:34 PM ---Dear TrevorG,

Rapidly downplay the beauty. 
Do you want thousands of people joining the fray?

Glad you had a good workout.

Natraps

--- End quote ---

Natraps - no doubt. Not posting to fb or anything, told my friends to do the same. I feel like minds would appreciate is all

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version