collapse

Author Topic: Spearfishing - Maui  (Read 1233 times)

Offline willidru

Spearfishing - Maui
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »
Anyone have any advise on spearfishing in Maui? Never been spearfishing, but supposed to head out with the family and figured it might be good place to learn. If you have ideas from places to go and/or places I could rent gear I would appreciate the input. thanks

Offline SpecialK650

Re: Spearfishing - Maui
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
Didn't get to try them but I saw their bus in Lahaina and they seem pretty cool...

http://spearfishmaui.com/

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »
Try mile marker 14 on the Lahaina hwy  That's where Spearfishing Maui will take you, and it's a good idea to go with him or a local. You might be able to get hooked up on Hawaiianskindiver.com

Offline willidru

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »
Just FYI, went out with the Maui spear fishing crew. Great time for first hunt. They teach the basics and some techniques which were very helpful. Jon and Chris father/son combo were super cool. Had shots on fish and grabbed my first Octpus (3-4 lbs). Not sure if they were just screwing with me, but before we went out they said if we got an octopus the way they kill in the islands is to bite the nerve between the eyes. Easier said than done my first bite just popped the eyes into my mouth and the second stunned it good enough to finish off. Can't wait to shoot some fish in NorCal.

Any recommendations on size, type and brand of first speargun?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:28:16 PM by willidru »

Offline Dirt Snow Water

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
Jeremy, the owner, is a great guy...he's actually from the PNW near Seattle.  So he knows all about cold water diving and that's why he's in Maui.  ;)  If you've never done it I would highly recommend going with him, he has a lot of great diving/breathing tips/technique and teaches you to load a gun safely and talks a lot about gun safety/dive safety.  Also goes over fish species before you enter the water.  I will say that his website 'gallery' is a little misleading.  Most of those pictures are of him and his boys on there own or out on a boat, not part of the actual location he goes to.  So don't get your hopes up on blasting Ulua and/or Mahi.

He does take you to mile marker 14, but also will take divers to Mala Ramp (also Lahaina) where you dive off the busted up pier there.  Depends on the skill level of the group.  I enjoyed my time with him and have been back to dive with him 4 different times when I'm visiting.  I know he is also launching his business in Kona, just not sure if it's off the ground yet.

Good luck, have fun!

Offline Dirt Snow Water

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
oops, just noticed you already went

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt