collapse

Author Topic: Ab grab bar legality?  (Read 428 times)

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
Ab grab bar legality?
« on: July 31, 2014, 07:20:47 AM »
http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2014/07/31/ingenious-or-illegal/#respond
Question: I am going over abalone laws again for any details that I may have missed and I have one quick question.

Measuring devices: You must have a fixed-arm measuring gauge, capable of spanning an abalone’s shell. It is a violation to take an abalone when not in possession of a gauge, even if the abalone is legal-sized.

As you can see in this picture (ab grab pictured) the gauge is part of the ab iron. Since it has a fixed-arm that is capable of measuring abalone, I assume this gauge is legal. I just wanted to confirm since I am hearing that people are being approached for this type of gauge. Thanks. (Jerry)

Answer: This gauge does not meet the requirements of a legal abalone gauge and therefore would not be legal by itself. It’s ok for a preliminary measurement, but the abalone fisherman would have to have an additional legal gauge in their possession while taking abalone.

According to California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) Lt. Dennis McKiver, every person taking abalone “shall carry a fixed caliper measuring gauge capable of accurately measuring seven inches. The measuring device shall have fixed opposing arms of sufficient length to measure the abalone by placing the gauge over the shell” (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 29.15(f)).

These abalone irons with attached, short, one inch arms are not “capable of accurately measuring” because the arms are not “of sufficient length to measure the abalone by placing the gauge over the shell.” So, anyone using one of these will need to also have an additional legal abalone gauge in their possession.

All divers must carry an abalone gauge that measures seven inches and remember that any abalone removed from the rock that measures seven inches or more must be retained (CCR Title 14, section 29.15(d)). Wildlife officers frequently find people trophy hunting with only nine or 10 inch gauges in their possession and they end up citing many of these individuals for high grading because they are detaching and replacing abalone that are less than nine or 10 inches, but are otherwise legal to take.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt