collapse

Author Topic: Monterey Report  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Rick W

Monterey Report
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »
Went out out the Breakwater with Boogieboard Steve and Southernboy (Mississippi) to invite some fish home for dinner.

When we launched it was like a lake. Water temp was in the high 50's. We saw dolphin and mola mola on the way out.

First dive we hit great structure -- there was a school of blues over the anchor and lots of other species.

I shot a nice stringer of rock fish, cab and a smallish ling. Steve came in with a nice stringer of blues, including one monster. Mississippi came back with a nice stringer of cab and a beautiful opeleye. He lost his gun in a hole with a large cab and had to go back with his second tank.

On the second dive I got my ling and a 46" wolf eel, two nice greening (yummy) and more rockfish. Steve nailed more huge blues and got his lings and some cabs. Mississippi retrieved his gun and got a trophy cab and finished his ling limit (lingit?)

Fish tacos on Sunday!

There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
Re: Monterey Report
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »
That is a serious eel!!! Great Job Rick!!
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline DWL707

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:01:27 AM »
Wait not the breakwall MPA in monterey right?

Offline Luckydivah

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
Way to Slay Rick!!  Glad you guys had a great time.  Have to hook up sometime and do a tandem boat dive.

Wait not the breakwall MPA in monterey right?

I know Rick launches at Breakwater, not breakwall.  He hits multiple spots outside of the MPA's.  Boats launch from Breakwater, not fish.

Matt

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:45:59 AM »
Nice job guys!!! That's the biggest wolf eel I've ever seen!!

Offline Deke Jacobsen

• Used to be live2hunt707
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »
That is one big bad wolf! Congrats Rick!

Offline Rick W

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
Thanks all!

Just to clarify -- we put the boat in at Breakwater and only do sightseeing dives in the MPAs. I won't drop into an MPA if there is hunting gear on my boat.

There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline pclark

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:21 AM »
Great Haul!  That ell is huge!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt