collapse

Author Topic: Vacuum sealing fish  (Read 693 times)

Offline StinkyPete

Vacuum sealing fish
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:50:10 PM »
It's August, and in that glorious month most of the animal hunting that I get excited about opens up. Halibut are in, Deer season opens for rifles, yellowtail are in SoCal, etc.

Every year I run into an issue with my vacuum sealer when it comes to bones. Maybe I can get some help.

Anyone vacuum seal whole fish or t-bones? I'm having trouble with pointy things like bone fragments and fish spines/bones poking through my bags and ruining the seal.

I've heard of people using freezer paper, butcher paper, paper towels, and ziplock bags, but never tried those methods. Anyone had success going those routes?

-Pete
Carpe piscem

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
Re: Vacuum sealing fish
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »
When I vacuum seal lobster tails, I take a pair of kitchen shears and clip off the points on all the spines.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline Rick W

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »
I have the same problem -- pin bones stick through.

What I started doing with my fish is freezing individual fillets on a flat pan with plastic wrap over/under. I then package up the frozen fillets in ziplocks so I can take out just what I need. I never know if it's just me or the whole family and few friends.

I think if you pre-freeze the fillets the meat won't compress so much and the pin bones might not protrude enough to puncture the bags.

Good luck
There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:32:14 PM »
Also, I sometimes use duct tape to cover the tips of spines that poke through during the vacuuming, then re-vacuum
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
When I'm really having problems, I bust out the plumbers epoxy.
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
For white seabass, I filleted one side and steaked the other. The steak side had the spine, ribs, etc. I had to use pieces of paper towel - folded multiple times and placed carefully - to keep the bones from puncturing the bag. It worked pretty well.

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
Cool, I'll try it out with the paper towels and also the ziplock/plastic wrap option

I've got some spare butcher paper around so maybe I'll try putting some of that near the bones.
Carpe piscem

Offline DG

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
I bought thicker bags in 50' rolls on amazon and they hold up better than the regular ones.  Don't use ones that barely fit the item. Go a little bigger on the bag if possible and it will flex better over the item. I have the game saver from bass pro and it allows for bigger bags.  My next purchase will be a commercial grade sealer because mine over heats if I seal a lot at once. 

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »
When I'm really having problems, I bust out the plumbers epoxy.

I'll have to try that.

;)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:24:29 PM »
I started cutting the pinbone section and all of the ribs out of fillets after finding freezer burned fish.  That is the only thing that has worked for me.

Pre-freezing helps get a good seal when the fish is wet, but if there is a hard sharp point, it will put a hole in the bag when you stack it.

You could freeze in water fillets in milk in a ziplock.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
The solution is pretty simple.

1. Give me the halibut.
2. Jerky the entire deer.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt