collapse

Author Topic: Women's wetsuit question  (Read 361 times)

Offline naturalSelection

Women's wetsuit question
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »
Hey all,

My girlfriend has recently gotten into diving with me and she's in the market for a good suit.  We abalone dive and spend anywhere from 2 to 4 hr at a time in the Mendocino/Sonoma shores.  She has been using the excel hydro flex rental, and gets too cold really quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions for a preferably closed cell suit, women's cut?

Offline StinkyPete

Re: Women's wetsuit question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »
I went through this fiasco a while ago with my girlfriend. Long story short, options are limited.

For closed cell suits, the SolaFX is a good option and has a women's selection.

Alternatively, you could opt for the Yemaya suit if she is willing to go open cell. It's also a good option.
Carpe piscem

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:26:33 AM »
Ditto. Went through the same issue with my petite girlfriend. Two or three really good dive shops in OC only carry the SolFax for women because they couldn't sell anything else alongside it. Other than the Yemaya, Mako has women's open cell suits that are perpetually on back order. It may be worth calling them up to see what the deal is.

If she'll never scuba, I'd really suggest open cell. The two piece designs make them a lot easier for a woman to get into, and open cell is easier to get into, warmer, and more comfortable in general

Copeland

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »
Just run a vest underneath her scuba suit. I was a lot  warmer. But, it won't completely overcome all that cold water :-[ be a champ and get her that mako  8)

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Jeremy: I have actually suggested against an open cell suit for her because they are such a hassle to get into and out of. Having to lube when putting on, and ripping the jacket off your shoulders and head when taking off. Maybe it's just me?

Has anyone heard of Imersion? A free dive gear maker out of France. If so, Are those any good?

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
Women's wetsuit question
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
I've put on the men's SolaFX, and I've put on a few different open cell suits, and have had one for a year. Lubing it and slipping into an open cell is phenomenally easier than trying to squirm into a lined suit.

Also, for a woman's shape, it's a lot easier to get into a two piece unless the back zipper is really long.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:02:29 PM by Jeremy »

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt