collapse

Author Topic: Any Advice?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
Any Advice?
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:30:59 PM »
Next Thursday, my brother and I are headed down south to the Channel Islands for a 3 day white seabass/yellow tail freedive trip on the Peace. I think we will be dabbling in some halibut and reef hunting for calicos and the other locals as well.

I was just wondering if any of my ncuh brothers and sisters might have any insight into SoCal Underwater Hunting in this capacity? I've never done this kind of spearing before so any advice helps!

Currently we are equipped with a beautiful loaner Mike N (http://manmidhandles.webspawner.com) mid-handle speargun (thanks Mike!) and a loaner hammerhead 110 rear handle (thanks Jason!).

So yeah...any special thoughts? Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Hopefully fun times and fish slaying to be had, followed by a thorough trip report of our endeavors and a mildly entertaining gopro video.
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline Deke Jacobsen

• Used to be live2hunt707
Re: Any Advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »
No advice... but good luck down there! Hope you have a blast and shoot lot's of fish!!!

Offline JackSquirt

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »
No advice... but good luck down there! Hope you have a blast and shoot lot's of fish!!!

As long as i remember my hook breaths! Hup! Hupp!!!

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »
Do not shoot a black sea bass.

There can be jello tail outside the kelp edges.

Calico bass are skidish.

Halibut like shallow water.

Good luck  :)

Offline JackSquirt

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »

Calico bass are skidish.

Thanks garrat. I'll look for dee jellows out there. Are the wsb more prone to the thick kelp? I'm sure it mostly depends on their food source...

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »

Calico bass are skidish.

Thanks garrat. I'll look for dee jellows out there. Are the wsb more prone to the thick kelp? I'm sure it mostly depends on their food source...

I heard they prefer low viz.
They are there.
Always be ready to fire.
Be quiet and stealth.

Offline JackSquirt

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »

Calico bass are skidish.

They are there.
Always be ready to fire.
Be quiet and stealth.

Ninja spearing. I'll try my best lol

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »

Calico bass are skidish.

They are there.
Always be ready to fire.
Be quiet and stealth.

Ninja spearing. I'll try my best lol

;D

Offline SnailHunter

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »
Calico's are quick little bastards.  If they see you swimming towards them they run. You can find big ones in caves.

Garibaldi are total jerks.  They will head-but you and bite your finger.  And they know you can't shoot them.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »
I just did a 2 day trip in the Peace Boat. One guy got a giant 58 lb WSB and only 4 others were seen. I don't have the right gear to really hunt big WSB (big ass gun, break-away tip) but it was fun looking for them and I saw one. Be very slow and quiet underwater but you can also see WSB from the surface in the kelp. The dude who got the 58lber was floating on the surface when he saw a big head lurk up through the kelp. There are other fish to shoot, but if you spend your time shooting rock fish you'll probably spook the WSB if they are around. I took 2 large Johnny Bass (they look like calicoes but are dumb) and saw plenty of other rock fish, sheep head, bat rays, crabs, lobsters, etc. If you're targeting WSB don't shoot other fish until you're heading back to the boat. Good luck.

Offline JackSquirt

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
Calico's are quick little bastards.  If they see you swimming towards them they run. You can find big ones in caves.

Garibaldi are total jerks.  They will head-but you and bite your finger.  And they know you can't shoot them.

I was considering bringing my rob allen 70 for hole hunting and maybe halibut. Mike's big mid handle seems a little overkill for flatties and i definitely wouldnt point it at a rock lol. But if halibut and wsb could potentially be in the same environment i'd just stick with the big gun and only use 1 or 2 out of the 3 bands. Thanks for the tips! I'll try and restrain from slapping around our a**hole of a state fish

I just did a 2 day trip in the Peace Boat. One guy got a giant 58 lb WSB and only 4 others were seen. I don't have the right gear to really hunt big WSB (big ass gun, break-away tip) but it was fun looking for them and I saw one. Be very slow and quiet underwater but you can also see WSB from the surface in the kelp. The dude who got the 58lber was floating on the surface when he saw a big head lurk up through the kelp. There are other fish to shoot, but if you spend your time shooting rock fish you'll probably spook the WSB if they are around. I took 2 large Johnny Bass (they look like calicoes but are dumb) and saw plenty of other rock fish, sheep head, bat rays, crabs, lobsters, etc. If you're targeting WSB don't shoot other fish until you're heading back to the boat. Good luck.

Sounds like a beast of a fish! I guess its all about being in the right place at the right time haha. Sucks you didn't get to pull the trigger on a seabass, hopefully we will fare a little better.  I heard most of the shots are from the surface, should make for an interesting hunt, going all incognito on these spooky ghosties. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled and mouth shut out there. Thanks for the info!

Offline Newgun

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »
If your going to look for yt outside the kelp beds they may require you to use a float for visibility/safety.  Not sure how strict they are but it's a good idea.  You wouldn't want to get hit in the head by a prop.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt