collapse

Author Topic: Freedive Computers  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Dino222

Freedive Computers
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:12:33 AM »
I'm going to get a freedive computer for xmas from the wife  :hello2:. On LiesurePro.com they have 3,
The old style for $234 [smg id=675]
The Manta 3 for $399 [smg id=676] or the new one the F10 for $399 [smg id=677].
The old style for the price looks like a pertty good deal, but if the other ones are that much better is it worth the extra $200.
Has anyone used any of these or knows of something better ?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:14:18 AM by Dino222 »
Dino Spadoni

Glaucus

Re: Freedive Computers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:50:18 AM »
Do they all time your bottom annnnd surface time?  My very limited experience with a dive comp tells me this is the only reason I'd need one.  Having the depth is fun, but the times are actually most practical (for me anyhow).  Curious what everyone else thinks...

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
For me it is all about knowing the depth. That is just me.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Glaucus

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »
What for Matt?  Just out of curiosity?

Offline Dino222

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »
These will all keep track of your depth, bottom time, surface time, and number of dives with the corresponding info for each dive. Which you can download to your computer, to keep track of your dive profiles
Dino Spadoni

Glaucus

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »
 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Sounds like a damn fun toy!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:55:36 AM »
What for Matt?  Just out of curiosity?
Just to know how deep for my own curiosity
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Dino222

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
It is nice to know how deep your diving, I use my depth gauge out of my old console now so I can keep track of my dives. But these computers will keep track of your whole dive thoughout the day. Your right "damn fun toy!"
Dino Spadoni

Offline rafterman

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »
I’m also looking at a dive computer, what I have found out is there scuba and free dive specific, some are just free dive, other have free dive mode.
My interest is the same yet when Diving at the AB comp I was lucky enough to speak with John who said when diving this deep 25’ +  it’s important to stay on the surface 2x the time under this helps avoid shallow water black outs.  With my efforts for better bottom time I’m 1:45 now but will be 2x that by April I need a way to time my dives.
I was at Bamboo Reef today and they have a special going until 12/15 10% plus $150 off bring it to $450 big bucks I know but they will back the product, not sure about web purchase. The one I was looking at was the D4 it did it all plus a guy walk around as a watch…big bucks.
Do what You want to do…

Abdvrob

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:21:18 PM »
The D4 is a damn good purchase. If I had the money, thats the one I'd get. Your surface interval is just as if not MORE important than knowing JUST your depth. Get the comp. that tells you all of that info.

Offline rafterman

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:11:58 PM »
OK I went out and started reading the Suunto catalog, the D4
•   Air
•   Nitrox
•   Free dive
•   Watch
Profile sampling is at 1’ / 10’ / 20’ / 30’ / 60’ which could be better yet I would use more battery.
PC interface / yes
It the only free dive mode dive computer other than the one that not available in US, the Stinger, the D4 has almost everything the other have plus Pam said you can get them in different colors…cheaper  than a Rolex and after reading the cause of decompression illness it has a number of practical operating modes to help avoid getting hurt.
"Honey this thing could save my life"
Do what You want to do…

blue-fin

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:33:24 PM »
I have the D4 it works great for me.

Offline Tim C.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:54:33 PM »
Dinno, do you know which model has the brightest/largest display?  My sight is fading with each passing day.
Thanks

Abdvrob

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »
and after reading the cause of decompression illness it has a number of practical operating modes to help avoid getting hurt.
"Honey this thing could save my life"

I hope this isn't the only thing that will help you out of DCI. The D4 should only be used as a back-up while on SCUBA.

yakfisher

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 06:30:33 AM »
From what I read most of the accomplished divers are using the D4. Now they are saying the F10 is its competitor. I think the surface interval is very important because it's the thing we all like to cheat on. It's hard to make yourself stay on the surface and oxygenate when your partner is down there popping a big ab or chasing a ling. With a timer you can force yourself to stay on the surface the appropriate amount of time. 3 minutes feels like an hour when you want to dive.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt