collapse

Author Topic: Question on Mendo area water Visibility  (Read 3670 times)

Offline DG

Question on Mendo area water Visibility
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »
The water was so bad yesterday it was not worth diving. It took longer to clean gear than actual water time.  I may try again tomorrow, but was interested in knowing is there a reasonable amount of time after bad weather/rough water that one should wait for it to clear up. 

It has been raining all day here, but mild winds.  Is cloudy water caused by wind, current, waves, rain or a combination of them. 

No reason to go out if I can't see and not sure if in a semi protected cove if it is worse or better than in deeper water away from rocks. 

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Question on Mendo area water Visibility
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »
Stay away from rivers,creeks and streams when it rains the rain run off murks up the water.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »
What he said^ were u protected by the NW swell during your dive? i.e in a cove?
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline Deke Jacobsen

• Used to be live2hunt707
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
 The ocean can change over night so you never know what the vis is going to be for sure unless you check it out for your self. Deeper water tends to be clearer from my experience, and watch out for coves with sandy bottoms. Hope this helps

Hope it clears up for you, good luck ;D

-Deke

Offline DG

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »

I was protected by cove, I stayed closer to shore because it was still a little rough further out and I was just checking on conditions.  I think taking kayak out and loading, unloading, and strapping on wheels and hauling around is what takes the most time. I think I may just start taking tube for quick water checks. 

Thanks for info guys. I will just have to started trying different locations to get a better first hand knowledge of what may be better on certain days.  Its amazing how one beach has rough waves for entry and others are completely sheltered and have no waves.  Guess its the same on visibility.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
Duane, all I can say is there is not a better way than to be there and see for yourself. I have seen reports from guys on friday with25 foot vis and gone out on saturday to 5 foot vis with the exact same swell and wind. The very next weekend I sat home because the forecast called for nasty water. Got to work hearing of 30 foot vis and flat as the road you drive on. The ocean can change drastically in a matter of hours,  and there  is really no way to know unless you go look. Try checking agate cove and bodega bays web cams.
Good luck, stay safe and happy diving!!!
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 03:51:07 AM »
Can you post the web can sites?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »
we have a whole board of them from all over the state here is a link to them, http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/index.php?board=38.0
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline DG

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »

I thought about this and saw it on some reports, but really did not understand how the NW swell affects divers. Does it mean the ocean will push you away from shore if not in protected cove.  Or is there an issue with 2 swells from diff directions meeting and causing some issues. 

Offline todd

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 01:45:52 PM »
We have weird 3 ft south at 20 seconds rigt now on top of the NW swell..

I'm more excite about the outlook for next weekend, looks like 2 ft on the models, lets hope it works out
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/abglance.html#114hours
Todd Stagnaro

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »
Not to jack the thread, but did anyone dive today? Vis Report? 

Thinking of hitting SWS tomorrow if the waves don't get too much bigger.

Carpe piscem

Offline willidru

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
Didn't get in the water conditions were too rough for me. Could have got in at Van Dam, but it was even choppy. Maybe tomorrow. Viz didn't look like it was bad.

Copeland

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »

We did hit sws viz was ok, talk to Jeremy !!as for the post I made on jacks account DG, swell with surge will push u back depending on the swell. If it's NW swell ur gonna be pushed to the opposite side 7-10 times minus in a cove or around rocks, rip tides, other diving stuff. Think ofyour self as a tree in wind with NW all the branches & leaves will flow the same way. Same theory. I suck @ explanations, hope that helps man
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:08:28 PM by Copeland »

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »

We did hit sws viz was ok, talk to Jeremy !!as for the post I made on jacks account DG, swell with surge will push u back depending on the swell. If it's NW swell ur gonna be pushed to the opposite side 7-10 times minus in a cove or around rocks, rip tides, other diving stuff. Think ofyour self as a tree in wind with NW all the branches & leaves will flow the same way. Same theory. I suck @ explanations, hope that helps man

Cool.  I checked with Jeremy...heading down tomorrow!
Carpe piscem

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt