collapse

Author Topic: Van Damme 4/21-25  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Rick W

Van Damme 4/21-25
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Hey All!

My son and I are camping at Van Damme from 4/21-25. If anyone is coming up during the week, drop by.

The first part of the week looks like it might get blown out, but we will be in the water if it looks safe. My son is looking to pull his first ab.

We are tent camping in the first loop. Forgot the site number.

Rick Wilson    ;D
There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline Jason Blalock

• Global Moderator
Re: Van Damme 4/21-25
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »
That will be an awesome trip for you guys. Be safe and take lots of pictures!!!

Offline Stoney

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:54:44 PM »
Just left there Saturday morning and it's looking good out there this year , I brought my brother with me to pull his first ab and easy 50 min limit out for us.

Good luck :cheers:

Offline Deke Jacobsen

• Used to be live2hunt707
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:20 AM »
That's awesome getting you son out there on his first ab! I hope I will get the chance with my son. Good luck and be safe.

Offline snapperhead

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »
Good luck, the cove is loaded with Abs. We just got home after spending 4 days. The last 2 days were blown out.

Offline Rick W

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »
We just got back from Van Damme and our socks are almost dry from the drizzle.

N2Diving came up and we went out Wednesday morning. He gave me some good pointers and shared a nice pod of abs. He found a bar and gauge with a wrist strap and hooked my 13-year son Nat up with his first gear.

My buddy Southernboy came up later Wednesday. He bought Nat an ab report card and a I picked up a 5mm suit at at Subsurface and had the kid out the next day. After we got his weighting set he took off with SouthernBoy and I kayaked off to the south side of the cove. The kid was a monster -- the other three new divers all gave up and Nat limited out! I shot my first fish on a breathhold -- I missed a nice greening (f***ing safety  >:( ) and then nailed a little perch. Not a great fish, but shooting a fish freediving was a goal for  the week.

The cove was very diveable all week.  A little surgy and vis ran from 5'-10' at different times. SoutorhernBoy and his posse dropped crab traps Thursday and are staying until Saturday or Sunday.
The kid says we have to go back. Maybe we have a future spearo.

:D

Offline DG

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:17:03 PM »
Glad you guys had a good time even if weather was not the best. At least you shot a fish and got some abs.  Sounds like a great week to me.

Offline Stoney

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 03:00:20 AM »
Do you know if they had any luck with the crabbing there? I brought my cages the last time I went but didn't see but a couple diving so didn't bother tossing them out! Thanks

Offline Rick W

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »
I talked to a kayaker setting traps when we took ours out. He says he has crabbed at VD, but it's hit and miss.

Give it a try if you have the traps anyway.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt