collapse

Author Topic: Will 5mm be sufficient?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Stoney

Will 5mm be sufficient?
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »
I have always dove and still dive mendo area with a 7mm because that's all I know ..... Was wondering what others wear? Is 5mm to thin? Looking at a new suit!

Thanks for your Input
Nick Stone
:cheers:

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
Re: Will 5mm be sufficient?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »
7mm  over time will lose its thickness due to compression. So 7mm will turn into a 5mm over time.   

I say stick with the 7mm get your money's worth.

AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »
7mm  over time will lose its thickness due to compression. So 7mm will turn into a 5mm over time.   

I say stick with the 7mm get your money's worth.

If you're talking about 2 piece open cell suits then yes. Compression will be a long term issue, but also on every dive. If you like to dive for hours on end or multiple dives a day, if you're a deep diver with long bottom times (and therefore long surface time), or if you get cold easily like me, a 7mm will be best. The suit will compress to an extent at depth so you might get cold at the bottom or when sitting still on the surface. Physiologically, you will dive better if you are warmer (more comfortable, lower heart rate, etc.).

However, nobody can tell you what will be best for you. That's your job. The most crucial aspects are the fit of the suit, the quality of neoprene, body type (fat content), and the factors I mentioned earlier. If you might dive somewhere warmer as well, consider a 5mm.

Many people wear 5mils and are more than happy with them. Many people wear 7mils and are too warm. But you can always flush the suit to cool it down.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:09:40 AM »
Yes open cell, suit

I did a dive once in so Cal last year with the 7mm suit, It was hot as hell until I got in that water, Still was super warm , But I was confront able

True statement Nobody can really tell you what best for you. 8)

AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline underwater1

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:00:34 AM »
I have always dove and still dive mendo area with a 7mm because that's all I know ..... Was wondering what others wear? Is 5mm to thin? Looking at a new suit!

Thanks for your Input
Nick Stone
:cheers:
I have dove with both.  I dive longer and more comfy with my 7mm. 

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
I have 7mm johns and a 5mm top.  Works for me but I normally don't go deeper than 30'. For SCUBA I use a firm neoprene 7/7 - need it for the compression at depth. I lost weight over the winter and hope the 5mm will still work for me, have yet to go out this year. Fat helps - drink more beer.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
I use a 7 mil suit from Dolphin Scuba in Sac.  A normal Dive suit.  I NEVER get cold. 

I am a Neandertal, I guess.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline Jason Blalock

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
 I have had very warm 5's that kept me comfortable for 4/5 hours. Down the road you might have more specific reasons to get one or the other. If it's strictly a warmth issue get a 7. If you can find a great cut for your body type that will help tremendously. Everybody's different

Offline Stoney

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »
Well I love my 7mm pinnacle one piece but I have been looking at a blue camo 5mm 2 piece so I was just wandering if any one uses a 5mm in the mendo area!

Thanks for all the feed back

Nick Stone

Offline DG

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
Well I love my 7mm pinnacle one piece but I have been looking at a blue camo 5mm 2 piece so I was just wandering if any one uses a 5mm in the mendo area!

Thanks for all the feed back

Nick Stone

Also interested in 5mm and how comfortable they are for area.  I have two 7 mm suits. One with hood attached and had to get a 2nd one that I can remove hood because I was getting to hot.  Never a problem in water but out of water if I kayak or walk in them they are hot. 

Offline willidru

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
I used to shiver in my 7mm scuba suit. Got a 2 piece 5mm open cell suit 2 yeas ago and am more than warm. I'm only in the water for about 2 hour periods. For me my 5mm is the way to go.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt