collapse

Author Topic: Anyone have this problem?  (Read 1321 times)

Joe Mag

Anyone have this problem?
« on: November 24, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
So I went diving the weekend before last. It was on an empty stomach and I took some antacids before I got in the water because I always have a lot of acid build up when I'm out in the water.  So during the dive I couldn't really get relaxed enough and once I got to the bottom I would have that hick-up reflex to breath. That happened just about every other dive I took that day. Well I got my abs and headed home. I didn't get a chance to eat until that night.

Ever since that night, I've had really bad stomach aches and a bloated feeling. Also sort of a constipated feeling, though I haven't had any issues using the restroom. However, I have been urinating 3 times more than usual. The stomach aches get much worse when I drink or eat anything. I also feel like vomiting after I eat if I eat a normal size portion of food.  I had my Dr.'s appointment today and he is convinced that its just too much stomach acid being pumped out. I believe otherwise. It doesn't feel like that is the problem.

Anyone ever have this problem after a dive?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:17:52 PM by Joe Mag »

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Anyone have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »
Nope the only time I feel like that is when I get sea sick.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »
Get a second opion from a different doc. sounds kinda weird. I get gas build up when I free dive also, I use Dual Action Pepcid Complete and have'nt had a problem. just my 2 pennies :blob8:
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline speargearshop

• Sven Anderson Owner- speargearshop.com
    • speargearshop - high performance spearfishing hardware and lifestyle clothing
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but what I believe you have is a mild form of acid reflux brought on by the compression of your stomach.  Your stomach acid instead of working on some food had nothing to do and nowhere to go but up towards your esophagus.  The urination is a function of your body trying to flush itself of the acidic wastes pushed to your intestinal tracts.

Get it looked at definitely, but also try to have some sort of carb in your gut prior to the dive.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 07:23:20 PM »
I think speargun shop may be on the money, eat some before you dive.
Myrel C. Willeford

Joe Mag

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:32:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 09:38:07 PM »
ive had alot of friends that have had the acid reflux prob but none of them dive. most of the time it has to do with theyre diet or drinking to much. mine is drinking to much so i try not to drink before i go dive. if i do drink, ijust expect it and try to deal, but usualy get sick bout an hour in. just my 2 cents
                        brandon
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Calif_Diver

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
I dont drink, but i have had acid reflux for  many years, diet helps if you can controll what you eat ,OR do like i do i take achphex once a day and eat anything i want.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 04:52:36 PM »
Hey Joe,
     I would call DAN (Divers Alert Network), they will be able to better diagnose your problem since they are doctors that dive. It's free also! Their non-emergency number is 1-800-446-2671, hours are m-f 0830-1700 ET.
     And one more time for those who may not have read my DAN speil the last time around. If you dive and you don't have at least one form of diving insurance, you are gambling, big time!!!! One helicopter trip to Santa Rosa for instance is about $22,000. And in almost all cases your regular med. ins. will not cover it because it is considdered an exteme sport! Check into it to be safe and sure. Better yet, GET D.A.N.!!!! There's a lot more involved than just a helicopter ride!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline rafterman

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »
Joe,
Eat some yogurt which is a probbiotic it will help your digestion plus a number of other benefits. I think what could be happening is that you sallow a small amount of salt water which mixes with antacid which together messing with your insides. Make sure to take the live active cultures it might help... the hippie stuff, hope it works.
Do what You want to do…

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
divn-cali says it the best, call DAN or better yet get there insurance, it's cheap compaired to what you get for it.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
I agree get DAN I am going to for me and my whole fam.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
Hey guys,
     Just to let you all know, I just renewed with DAN for the top plan "Preferred" for me (I'm the only diver) and the family plan for the clan. It was $125/yr. The family plan allows for the helicopter transport thing for any member of the family, even in another country! Try using your US Based medical insurance (whatever it may be) to pay for something like that, won't happen, I guarantee you! Another thing to consider, is that some countries will not let you leave until bills are paid in full. Just more food for thought on this one. And no, I'm not a spokesperson for DAN! :icon_tongue:
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt