collapse

Author Topic: Abalone Tortellini Recipe  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Julian

Abalone Tortellini Recipe
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:56:52 PM »
One of my dive buddies (Geoffrey...should have signed up here recently) and I just recently threw this together this past weekend and it was out-of-this-world. 

Give it a shot and enjoy.  Serves (as in "stuffs") 3.

* 1 whole abalone
* 1 clove garlic
* 1/2 pound porcini mushrooms sliced
* 1 pound shrimp (shelled and cleaned)
* 5 strips of bacon diced
* 3-4 servings of cheese tortellini (you can probably play with different kinds...we just used a bag of frozen store-bought)
* Jar of premade alfredo sauce (we used classico)
* Chardonnay
* Juice of one lemon
* About 1/2 cup each of shredded Mozzarella + Parmesean cheese
* Olive oil
* Butter
* Sea salt
* Black pepper
* 1 pound of fresh haricots verts/green beans tipped and cleaned

- Whack the whole ab tender in one piece and cube it into chunks about the size of a sugar cube.

- Get a large pan hot and drop in a tablespoon of butter and just enough olive oil to coat the bottom evenly.  Dice up a garlic clove and spread it around in the pan, then drop in the mushrooms and sautee just until they get a nice color, but still remain firm.  Sprinkle a little black pepper and sea salt over them.  Dump it out in a bowl and set aside.

- Drop another tablespoon of butter in the pan and sautee the shrimp...again, just until they get some color on both sides but arent thoroughly cooked.  Sprinkle with black pepper.  Dump them out and try to keep most of the juice/butter "bisque" left over in the pan.

- In a smaller pan, fry the diced bacon...again, not overcooking it.  Throw all but about a quarter of it in the bowl with the mushrooms you set aside earlier.

- Adding a little olive oil and another tablespoon of butter to the large pan where you did the sautee.  Dump in the abalone and keep tossing it and shaking it around.  Again, get a little color all over the cubes but do not overcook it.  I cooked it like this maybe 30-40 seconds over high heat.  Dump the ab out into a bowl and again try to keep most of the liquid in the pan.

- Start 3-4 quarts of water boiling in a pot.

- Add to the large pan the lemon juice and a few splashes of chardonnay...no more than 1/4 cup.  Stir it up over high heat until its bubbling then stir in your canned alfredo.  Stir this all together in the pan and blend in your cheeses.  Reduce heat to medium and keep stirring, making sure your cheese melts in the sauce.  Drop everything into the sauce- mushrooms, bacon, shrimp, abalone- and reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover and let it simmer.

- Drop your tortellini in the boiling water pot and make sure they dont stick. Reduce the heat to medium. 

- Pan fry your green beans with the remaining bacon until most of the tortellinis are floating.  Strain the water out of the pot and pour your seafood/sauce over it.

- Spoon out the seafood pasta onto a plate.  Arrange the bacon fried green beans around the pile like a snob.

We put garlic bread on the side.  Enjoy with a good white wine or cheap beer...it really doesnt matter because the food will be the only thing on your mind for the next hour.

- Take pictures and post them on the internet seeking props.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

Re: Abalone Tortellini Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:06:42 PM »
 Very nice looks good I will have to try that
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Calif_Diver

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »
Man that looks better them my shrimp and scallops fetuchinni im having tonight

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »
Nice recipe Julian, next time try a vegetarian lasagne with ab
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:34:39 PM »
When you "Whack the whole ab tender in one piece" are you using a tenderizing hammer?  A friend of mine told me that he sometimes would cut off a leg from an old pair of Levi's, tie one end closed, drop the whole ab in and swing it over the shoulder and slam it down onto the pavement one time, and voila! tenderized abalone.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:39:13 PM »
Yea my buddie has a Levi leg he sewed up it makes a great pounding bag.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline Julian

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »
When you "Whack the whole ab tender in one piece" are you using a tenderizing hammer?  A friend of mine told me that he sometimes would cut off a leg from an old pair of Levi's, tie one end closed, drop the whole ab in and swing it over the shoulder and slam it down onto the pavement one time, and voila! tenderized abalone.

That sounds like a good idea actually...using a cutoff Levis leg. 

I actually just used a foodsaver bag (pretty tough plastic), slammed it against the countertop and punched it in my hand a few times, then I beat the edges a bit with the flat side of the tenderizing hammer.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:20:11 PM »
I cut the stem off the ab and then pound the whole ab with a rolling pin.  :violent1:

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt