collapse

Author Topic: Any Crescent City/South OR guys out there?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Liveclean

Any Crescent City/South OR guys out there?
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:59:06 AM »
Gentlemen,
I am excited that it looks like my plan to spend a bunch of time on the coast this summer may happen. I grew up with an obsessed ab diver dad and have loved my recent return to the NorCal coast diving. The more I am in the water, the more I read, the more I hate diving alone! Mostly for my families sake.

I would like to have some dive buddies. I sometimes dive on weekdays and weekends. I am not a total novice as a spearo. I can hold static for 3.5 and crushed my dad's best Ab this last year with my first 10! I am trophy minded, and YES I carry a 10 inch gauge. I have been forced to dive fresh water for the last 10 years with yearly trips to get my salt groove on.

FYI, I dive long and hard sessions!

PM me if you like. If you want to feel me out I get it, let's have coffee!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Any Crescent City/South OR guys out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:31:20 AM »
Welcome as you will see this is a great site tons of info and tons of good people as for dive buddies should not have a problem hooking up with one sounds like you have a good skill level and there are many trophy divers on this website just put the shout out I'm sure some will respond
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »
Welcome!

Before you're accepted you need to fill out a 300 page background check, credit report, FBI clearance, and have a minimum of a full closet of dive gear (preferably a whole room). Having more kayaks than immediate family members is a plus.

If you'd like to interview, write a post in the dive buddy section! One of our members will likely reach out and schedule a time to meet at a parking lot, gas station, rugged shore, or out on the water itself! Appropriate attire is required though many of us have chosen to forego the classic black suit in favor of something that better matches our surroundings. Be prepared for a performance-based exam which may include: find a 10" abalone (for your interviewer to take, not you), the volume of your scream when your buddy unexpectedly tugs on your fin at 50', and your ability to select quality beer based on the contents of your ice chest post-dive.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:17:11 AM »
I can meet all of your above stated requirements besides the beer. I am allergic and break out in handcuffs :) If I was drinking again I could not meet any of the above requirements and likely would have to allocate all diving hours to jail time:) My record shows clean because I was a track star. I am 22 years wo a drop. Still hang out though for sure, my allergy, no anyone else's.
I did however buy my first legal beer last year, an old timer taught me about getting an Ab drunk! Very little pounding involved. What an freaking relief from hours of my childhood with a hammer in my hand. I now buy 1 beer per dive but the ab gets drunk not me.

My equipment list is full and quality but I travel light as I have lug all that s... Across the country in airports from time to time. The flight people love me.

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
I have to hear more about getting an ab drunk! It relaxes them?

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:07 AM »
Welcome!

Farthest north I've ever dove is shelter cove...maybe one day I'll make it up to OR!

No worries about the breaking out in handcuff allergy...quite a few of my buddies have that same allergy, and I've spent plenty of time reading the Big Book myself.

If you ever make it down all the way to Monterey and wanna chase some fishies let me know.

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:03:33 PM »
Ab Intoxication literally causes a relaxed death! I didn't believe the dude but I said what the heck. I bought. 1 large can of beer (monster drink size?). Layed them shell side down, spread one third of a can over each ab. Held them in my hand dumping a bit into the holes also. They wiggle around like drunk skunks and fall dead as a door nail fully relaxed. Almost limp. There will be a tough spot or two to pound out but a fraction of the rock hard stuff.
Has anyone else ever heard of this? Is this common knowledge? Old school secret I was supposed to hide?

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »
It's no secret any longer! I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks!

Offline todd

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »
I will be in crescent city the weekend May 16-18th Abing and claming, hit me up
Todd Stagnaro

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
I have been around abalone all my life, 37 years and thats the first I have heard of this!!  Will definately try it though cause I know beer makes me looser.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt