collapse

Author Topic: WTF??? New Mushroom hunting TV show? 100lbs commercial out of Salt Point?  (Read 8348 times)

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
I know who Matherly is, he is the supposed "morel king" from Georgia, he puts on forays and makes a living which is all good.... except WTF???
it's plain wrong, not to mention "ILLEGAL" to collect any more than 5lbs per person for PERSONAL use in our Salt Point -STATE PARK- ...  >:( >:( >:( pissed*

I don't know what this show will do to the forest, but it will be worse than the trendy activities of the last 5 years or so, and definitively worse than the pigs can do... damn shame.

Let me know what you think:

if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline todd

Call Cal tip on these hobos, there not mycologists, there capitalist.
They should have bought a permit and collected at Jackson state forest or blm land
Commercial hunting salt point is a no no. Now the park rangers are even saying that a weekend mycology club with 40 people is a commercial event too.  To many people pick salt point. Only solution, open every park for hunting and they can all spread out
Oregon has better picking laws than we do...
Todd Stagnaro

Offline lazyhook

With 1600 views since it was posted last July, it's hardly breaking the Internet from excessive downloads.  I wish I would've noted the number of views when it got posted recently on the local myco association boards.  80% of the views may have been in the past week.

Matherly has been trying to get a mushroom "reality" show for a while.  This is yet another failed attempt.  It's not an actual show that's been picked up by a network.  He just created a demo real.  He probably spends more time looking for media cameras than mushrooms.  Personally, I wouldn't trust him to be able to identify a cultivated button mushroom that's already packaged in the supermarket.  But, to the naive, he may come across as knowledgeable.

As with almost all "reality" shows, this one has been heavily edited, and artificial drama has been created with the fake competition.  In this case, since he created the video he can't just blame the editors or producers.

I've watched some of his other videos in the past for the comedy value (as in find all the ways he shows off his vast "mushroom knowledge").  For this one, I don't know which is worse... his  mushroom IDs (Amanitanita Caesarea??  in California) or the imaginary valuations ($20/lb for slippery jacks???  If it were true, I'd be a millionaire).  However, I would certainly be willing to pay all that money to see his annoying girlfriend take a swift boot to the rear. 

Having said all that, it is very unfortunate that he's given the impression that taking any amount of mushrooms from Salt Point SP for commercial purposes is legal.  However, I'd be surprised if even a single person decides to go there based on seeing the video.

Offline todd

Here is good article going over the downfall of salt point, a mirrored problem that will be like abalone. People forced to pick in only small area leads to over picking.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/12/03/248582278/mushroom-foraging-when-the-fun-gi-hunt-gets-out-of-hand
Every single weekend there are 40 person myco clubs and also large groups of pay to play foragers who bring guided groups out in big numbers.  They either hit up stump mill or woodside and spread out on the trails.
Commodification of fungi is the bottom line.  It just sucks they are funneled into one place that ruins it for everyone.

This is why savvy hunters and local ranchers hit up the park before the weekend gets picked over.
Also now more people are hitting up the roedy reserve next door.
5 pounds is pretty inconvienient, 2 porcini will hit that limit for sure.
Humboldt myco society bitched about commercial pickers and the response from parks was to shut all hunting!
Oregon has best state park rules and permit process but I do say, I love humboldt BLm
And six rivers national forest, and medicine lake area where you can get permit and pick no hassles from ranger bob...
I'm mendo you can get a free fungi permit for jackson forest...It's for hanging on your car so rangers know your hunting and if u get lost it helps rescuers.  There are so many trails in that forest it's easy to lose your bearings...
By the way the big rim fire near yosemite is closed to all morel hunters his spring due to concerns about habitat.  I doubt many will heed that decree ........

That guy should be arrested for selling that pink ramaria coral fungi.
It makes many sick and gives people a laxative affect!!!! No fancy sonoma restaurant should ever serve that, what a joke
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:06:22 AM by todd »
Todd Stagnaro

Offline todd

I'm not into rimming for morels, that land is very verticle, if hundreds of ravenous mycophiles pound the area it will not be good.
I have naturals in the trinities where I won't run into anyone.
Remember Im the pirate who scouts the myco group web sites and goes the day before thier big groups terrorize the forest.  Each year the mendocino woodlands gets pounded by outside clubs, even Santa Cruz club spends the weekend denuding the forest up there. 
I've seen ranchers picking porcini with flashlights at salt point in early morning, the locals get butt hurt having thier spots raided by weekend warriors....

I know groveland area well so I know where there are level spots with spring water to help flush the morels. 
Too much morel fever for me in that area....
But fresh morels cooked up in the pan deglazing abalone fry is the best combo in the world.

If there is a glut of morels the price will drop to 10$ pound and I will be a buyer.  Stanly produce on Jerrold ave in SF has good wild fungi for wholesale 5 lb minimum....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:36:48 AM by todd »
Todd Stagnaro

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
Todd,
  If you want to go to my morel spot with me on Friday, I'd be willing to take you. It produced about a week and a half ago and we left more to get bigger!

Offline todd

Lets set up a morel and Ab tasting, jacks diving will bring the morels and we need diver to brave the swell to provide abs for the cook off for dinner.....
Todd Stagnaro

Copeland

Lets set up a morel and Ab tasting, jacks diving will bring the morels and we need diver to brave the swell to provide abs for the cook off for dinner.....

Rhasta mattttttt :o  ;)

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
That sounds good to me I'm still going tomorrow, someone must provide a nice abalone

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast