collapse

Author Topic: Short gun 101  (Read 1292 times)

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
Short gun 101
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
Some of you may have seen this one already, but a couple months ago I decided to build a little 30" bamboo gun for the Big Ab-Big Ling Comp back in May.  The bamboo blank came from a buddy of mine, and he told me "Have fun with it.....".  I changed it up a bit with a 9/32" X 34" flopper shaft, and recently re-epoxy coated the entire gun.  I decided on a mid handle using (but, of course) Neptonic components, based around the Reef Trigger and a remote trigger pull, and some scrap stainless rod I had hanging in the garage (don't ask why i keep that sh..).....

First thing to do is get all the parts you'll need.  Second, layout a mock-up and mark all the dimensions (screw you guys with the CNC machines  :P )

Rule # 1:
Don't drill the side pins on the trigger mech before you cut the spear track, but, be sure cut the mortise for the trigger, and the track for the spear at the SAME TIME! (measure twice  ). I 'effed up on the track by cutting it too deep, and if I hadn't drilled the pins I could've dropped the mech a little deeper fixing the prob (about 3/64" ). That tiny bit of vertical offset caused the shaft not to engage with the sear correctly and probably would've made for accuracy issues later on.  Make a jig for the trigger mech (1.5" angle aluminum).

Cut and grind off the trigger for to fit the remote pushrod:

I ended up over cutting the track with a dovetail bit and pouring an epoxy/graphite track. Since it's going to be a close range California cave gun, I'll cut an open track once that cures.

I jiged up the side line release using the "milk-jug" template technique to trace the line release pocket.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:41:51 PM by thereefgeek »
-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Offline thereefgeek

Re: Short gun 101
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »
I cut the band slot (they will be tied-in bands; 2X 9/16"), cut the 5/16" track for the shaft, rounded everything over and gave it a rough sand. (Big thanks to Phil Herannen for the little tips and tricks, and expediting the epoxy to coat the little bastard, and to Josh for jamming out my Neptonic order just before he booked to Mexico for 3 weeks.

I dicked up the line release slot and had to plug it and re-cut it, but it fit nicely after that.

Next, the handle and grips.....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:42:16 PM by thereefgeek »
www.svrambleon.com

Offline thereefgeek

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
More bamboo and epoxy.....

...and after a little smoothing and sanding and laying down the surfboard resin on the handle and gunstock.....

Gun's basically done and all rigged up. I still need to cut and tie the bands, but I dunked her in the bathtub, rigged up with some old bands and she sinks with the shaft locked in.  After sleeping on it I decided to hide a couple ounces of lead in the gun just to be safe  Handles, line anchors, etc. seem to be a good place for stashing lead, and you don't need a fancy plug cutter and a bunch of holes in the visable areas of the gun. But credit where credit is due; not my idea, but another great one none the less......

I smashed a couple fishing sinkers to fit in the holes and jammed them down with a hammer and punch. Tonight I'll float a thin layer of the magical epoxy over the lead and finish rigging the gun.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:42:45 PM by thereefgeek »
www.svrambleon.com

Offline thereefgeek

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
All rigged and ready to rock:

I can't remember where I stashed those photos of how I tied my bands (new tutorial to come), but I post 'em when I find 'em.  Since I only put 3 coats (2 if you count the one I Effed up) of epoxy on the gun, I sanded down, and re-epoxy coated the entire thing.  6 or 7 days of bashing around on the rocks made me want to take advantage of the Abalone Closure to smear some more of the good stuff on the gun.  But that'll be a new thread.....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:43:06 PM by thereefgeek »
www.svrambleon.com

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »
Nice.  I think I am going to have to take on a project like that.

MN

Offline sydwayz04

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 06:54:31 PM »
rich that gun is bad ars... i love it, if you ever want to make a nother let me know.. i am looking for one now but not in a hury, i have ben looking at the riffe competor #00 but i am not sure yet.. any ways clean gun you built there, keep up the good work
one breath at a time....

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »
As I have said befor Rich that is a pice of art you made.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Abdvrob

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 07:45:40 PM »
Oh man Rich, Im really starting to think about the gun Im about to start making! Its gunna look like that, but better... ;D ;D ;D Thanks for posting that here. I can now just stay on this site for a reference.

Keep your phone handy, Ill be a callin a bit for input!  ;D

Offline thereefgeek

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:04:48 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can load up some more pictures that I haven't posted else where.

Rob, I'm still working on that measure drawing of this gun and I'll get it to you in a day or so.
www.svrambleon.com

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:56:39 PM »
 That is a piece of art just to think of the workmanship and time in your weapon is awesome. Maybe someday I will try and make one myself. Is it difficult ?
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »
I stand in complete reverence!!!! Dude! That's way further then my wood working skills can take me. WOW!!! Beautiful is not enough to say!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt