collapse

Author Topic: Lay of the land in San Diego?  (Read 482 times)

Offline StinkyPete

Lay of the land in San Diego?
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »
It looks like I may start having access to a buddy's place in San Diego starting in May or June of this year, for the foreseeable future (gotta love grad school!).  I'm trying to figure out what the lay of the land is as far as what there is to hunt for, if San Diego is any good for spearfishing, etc.

Not necessarily trying to make a grab at any spots, although I won't say no to some good locations.  Furthest south I've been diving is LA area so this will be new territory to me.

Anyone dive there or know anyone I should chat with?  I'm assuming it's mainly a lobster, sand bass and possibly halibut area but I'm not sure if the place goes off for anything like wsb or yellowtail and dorado.  Any info is much appreciated.  I can also check with my buddy to see if there's space for a few more people when I visit.  If so, this could get really awesome really fast.

-Peter
Carpe piscem

Offline Joshua R.

Re: Lay of the land in San Diego?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
Check with your buddy first, then get back to us.

Just kidding.

San Diego has all of the above and if you get connected down there the guys make regular runs down to the Coronados for even better fishing.  Join the San Diego freedivers.  They do alot for the sport down there and they're a great bunch of guys.  I also really like the Pistolleros that I've met.

-Josh

PS-Do get back to us if you've got some floor space available.

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:20:01 PM »
Aug-Sep is primetime for yellow tail in la jolla.

Its good on the outer edges of the kelp.

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
Cool, thanks for the advice! I'll try to get into those groups too.

Josh, I'm sure my buddy would be happy to trade floor space for Freediving lessons. He just bought the Omer Black Moon suit but has no idea what he's doing in the water.
Carpe piscem

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt