collapse

Author Topic: Anybody got any good abalone sausage recipes?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline jackyd

Anybody got any good abalone sausage recipes?
« on: February 10, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »
Because I got a meat grinder as a wedding present and I want to use it for something besides venison.

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
Re: Anybody got any good abalone sausage recipes?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:02:46 PM »
i use mine for ab burgers , just wipe off the black and grind everything else , add bread crumbs and spices ,then panfry it .
i haven't pounded a ab in years.

ab balls are also a great appetizer for party's

Offline Heathman1476

• http://www.pacificnaluspearfishing.com/
Anybody got any good abalone sausage recipes?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:25:32 PM »
I've done ground abalone in lasagna instead of beef. I'm going to do abalone pot stickers here in the near future. I'm not sure if you can do a sausage but if there is a will there is a way.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:30:45 AM by Heathman1476 »
The world is made up of 71 percent water. Go grab your wet suit and lets go diving...

http://www.pacificnaluspearfishing.com/

My you tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/Heathman1476/

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:54:25 PM »
Because I got a meat grinder as a wedding present and I want to use it for something besides venison.

Congrats on the wedding Jack, and on bagging some venison! Never done ab sausage, but I bet if you mix it in with other meats it would be a good filler. Are you back in the bay area?

Offline Robert

• too many minds in the gutter so I changed it
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »
Have you ended up trying anything yet?

I agree with Phil. aby patties are pretty good. I make golf ball size balls then squish them flat as I can and fry them super hot for a few seconds each side, just enough to cook out the doughiness of the one egg I pop in.

I have been contemplating making sausage too. I havnt done it yet because I cant eat crab and my wife wont let me experiment on her, but I've thought about a fine grind ab mixed with finely flaked crab meat. if someone wanted to donate a crab or two id be willing to share the results of the experiment. abalone crab patties just have to be good.
it was a goonies reference

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »
Funny you post this now. I just made abalone/crab cakes last Sunday. I basically followed the recipe below, but instead of putting abalone in a blender (which seemed like a bad idea) I sliced it, tenderized it and then put it through my old fashioned hand-cranked meat grinder. I used about 1.5 cups abalone and 1/2 cup crab. Also, I don't know what "corn bread crumbs" are. I tried corn meal and it was too tough. Probably just substitute bread crumbs and adjust proportions so you end up with a mix you can easily form small patties into. I cooked them on a medium heat, not hot, flipping them until the outside was browned. They were a big crowd pleaser even though the corn meal was a bit too hard.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/abalone-cakes

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt