collapse

Author Topic: Lobster and Bhindi Masala (Indian style okra)  (Read 541 times)

Offline StinkyPete

Lobster and Bhindi Masala (Indian style okra)
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
This okra portion of this recipe came from an amazing Indian family from Palo Alto (I was the buyer's agent for their home purchase.  The wife/chef has auctioned off cooking classes with her for thousands of dollars at various charity events over the years.  This is her very basic Bhindi Masala recipe but it's totally killer.

Background: The girlfriend and I thawed out the last of the lobster tails from my epic season opener and wanted to make Bhindi Masala, but also use up the lobster.  The two go surprisingly well together.  I think it's the textures.

This recipe has a fair amount of instruction, but it's simple and straightforward to make.

---------This recipe, from prep to eating, takes about 1 hour--------------

First, let's start off with the okra, since it takes the longest to prep/cook.  This spice mixture works for about 1 pound of Okra.

Seasoning for the Okra:
1/2 - 1 Tablespoon Cumin (more = hotter)
1 Tablespoon Garam masala
1 Teaspoon Tumeric
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
1 Teaspoon onion powder
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
A touch paprika
Ghee (optional, can use olive oil instead)

First, cut off the tops and bottoms of the okra, and cut lengthwise into quarters.  This is the OPPOSITE of how you cut okra when you deep fry it (you're cutting it hot dog style, not hamburger style). 

I take a big saucepan and get the heat going on medium-medium high heat.  Add the ghee (I use olive oil).

Next, add the okra.  Okra gets pretty gross and starts to slime almost immediately once it hits the heat.  When it does that, add about half of the cumin, and about half of the garam masala.

As the okra starts to ooze more and more, add all the rest of the ingredients to the mixture, but leave a little bit of the cumin and gran marsala...you'll add it at the end.

After about 30 minutes or so, you'll notice that the okra will stop creating slime.  At that point, add the rest of the cumin and garam masala.

Keep it heated and stir it occasionally.  Once the okra stops sliming and the okra is limp, you're all done.

FOR THE LOBSTER:

For the lobster, you really want to keep it simple.  The okra will have a lot of flavor that will carry over to the lobster tails as you're eating.  I've used mixtures like Old Bay, but I think the tails honestly taste best with butter, garlic powder, salt, a little white pepper and a little bit of paprika.

About 20 minutes into the okra cooking, I throw the broiler on High to get the temp up.  Then, I take the lobster tails and cut them in half lengthwise.

Next, I pull the meat out of the shell, season it with everything but the butter, and then put it back in the shell.  I find I get the meat more evenly cooked this way, and it's easier for people to eat.

I take a baking pan and cover it with parchment paper.  Then, add the tails, put some butter on top of the tails, and throw it in the broiler.

The tails, depending on size, should take between 7-10 minutes to cook.  This depends on a few factors, so monitor them regularly.

Just like that, you're done!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:31:47 PM by RottieOwner »
Carpe piscem

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt