collapse

Author Topic: 2013 NCKA DOTY Awards Ceremony, Melanoma Mini-PIF and Potluck  (Read 7632 times)

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
Re: 2013 NCKA DOTY Awards Ceremony, Melanoma Mini-PIF and Potluck
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »
Little info for those that may not be very familiar with diving out of SWS:

1. You can't take invertebrates (scallops, octopus, urchin, crab etc) inside the cove or south into Carmel. Need to be north of Pescadero Point (the obvious point at the North of the horseshoe shaped cove).

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/images/mpamaps/carmel.jpg

2. People that work at Pebble Beach and visit Pebble Beach are for the most part very friendly and welcoming. Please play nice and smile and wave and say hi and park where they ask us to. It's not that big of a deal, but it makes a big impression and for those of us that dive/kayak there a lot that place is special to us. Here are details on their parking rules:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=51499.msg575318#msg575318

3. Forecast is currently not too big of a swell, and not much wind, but it is loong period. Please be careful and smart when in shallow or around rocks/pinnacles etc. Not worth getting slammed into a rock trying to cut a corner while paddling or trying to get that monkeyface out.  ;)

http://magicseaweed.com/Ghost-Trees-Surf-Report/825/

Tide is high around 11am. So prolly won't be a ton of beach to land on...usually there is a little more sand a little bit south of the pier/stairs so feel free to land over there if you are not comfy landing right next to the stairs. We'll probably all end up chilling down that way anyway.  :)

4. Look for me at beach to check in fish and pay for comp between noon and 2. 2pm is the deadline for entering fish. Please don't gut/clean fish that you plan to enter in the comp before I measure them.   :)

Here are the rules again...please note that Rockfish means members of the Sebastes family (Blue, Black, Olive, Kelpy, Grassy, BnY, Gopher, Copper, Vermillion, China, Treefish etc) and does not include greenlings, perch, sheephead, opaleye, calico bass, monkeyface, wolf eels etc. Just Rockfish.  :)

$20 to enter. Winner gets a donated print from Amadeo Bachar.

Each diver can enter 3 fish. 1 Rockfish (any kind), 1 Cabezon, 1 Lingcod.

Points per inch as follows:

Rockfish: 10
Cabezon: 8.5
Lingcod: 5.5

Diver with the most points wins Amadeo's print and all the $ goes to Connor's Mom Tracy to use for his final expenses or to donate to the Melanoma foundation to help find a cure...

You can use the following PayPal Link or just give me $20 cash/check (made out to Tracy Cockerham) at beach.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BAKMAHZLUPNWN

5. Last year we set up the tables/bbq/potluck/awards a little bit down (south) the beach tucked behind an obvious rock outcropping (you'll see it). This gave us a little privacy and wind protection and worked really well, so plan on doing the same this year unless there is a family or someone there already.  :)

6. Where to dive??? I love SWS cuz there are so many different reefs/areas that you can get to one from one launch.

Some of the more well-known areas that consistenty produce nice fish are the whole stretch under the big pink/beige house on the bluff leading to pescadero point, the area out front/outside of the obvious islands/rocks in the middle of the cove, anywhere north of pescadero point. If you're not seeing good structure or fish, move 100 feet and look again.  ;)

Be mindful of swell and breaking waves right at pescadero point...this is the Ghost Trees surf break and the waves can get BIG and strong right here...if it's curling at ghost trees I wouldn't advise trying to paddle north to explore....and if you do just be smart and stay safe.  ;)

7. DFG makes frequent rounds at SWS. Last year there was a warden at the beach checking everybody's catch on the day of this event. I'm glad he's out there, and I always enjoy seeing him around, but just a heads up to make sure you have your 2014 license with you and that all your take is legal etc.  :)

8. Bring a smile, some food and drink to share and have fun. It's gonna be a beautiful day, with some cool people getting together to raise $ and awareness for an important cause and I'm looking forward to it.  8)

Any questions or concerns, please just let me know!

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:10 AM »
Well...I have one more favor to ask...

In addition to keeping Connor Cockerham in your minds and hearts on Saturday...I ask that you also send positive energy and vibes out to my good friend and dive partner Nathan's mom Robin...she has also recently been diagnosed with Stage 4 melanoma:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=52204.0

Nathan aka Sharkbait is one of the nicest young men you will ever be lucky enough to meet...it breaks my heart knowing that his Mom and his family have to go through this....

Nathan will be down there on Saturday so give him a hug if you see him....

He is an incredible diver, amazing gymnast and good friend...here is his latest video to give you a glimpse into the kind of skills he has, and how much fun he has in the water.

I asked his Dad Eugene awhile back when I heard about Robin's diagnosis what I could do to help out...he said just keep on getting Nathan out in the water and diving with him and being his friend...so I've been trying my best to keep up...

Thanks fellas.

Cancer f*cking sucks.

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Dive-hunter

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »
Could learn a few things from him, looking forward to meeting him!
"In Mother Russia - fish hunt YOU!"

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Uhhg!  Sorry to hear about Nathan's mom.  I will see you all there Saturday!
Ken Butler

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »
Uhhg!  Sorry to hear about Nathan's mom.  I will see you all there Saturday!

Looking forward to seeing you Ken. Been too long buddy.

Thanks for the donation!

So far the paid participants are:

1. Matthew Lopez
2. Dan Romo
3. Jason Blalock
4. Joey Wiliams
5. Jim Russell
6. Jeremy Liem
7. Robo116872
8. Ken Butler
9. Patrick Clark

I know other guys have said they will pay at the beach and that's totally cool.   :)

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
See you tomorrow jim, Jason,Brandon and I will pay you at the beach
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
See you tomorrow jim, Jason,Brandon and I will pay you at the beach

Awesome! Thanks Matt!!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt