collapse

Author Topic: 2013 NCKA DOTY Awards Ceremony, Melanoma Mini-PIF and Potluck  (Read 7615 times)

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
2013 NCKA DOTY Awards Ceremony, Melanoma Mini-PIF and Potluck
« on: December 19, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »
Saturday January 18th.

SWS Beach

Dive in AM.

Melanoma Mini-PIF presentation, Awards Ceremony and Potluck at 2pm until ?

Unload and load at pier, park in hedgerow spots or at tennis courts or spa

Mini-PIF details:

$20 to enter. Winner gets a donated print from Amadeo Bachar. ALL of his works are great but I asked if he could donate the attached Big Fish Pinups cancer themed one and he agreed. 

Each diver can enter 3 fish. 1 Rockfish (any kind), 1 Cabezon, 1 Lingcod.

Points per inch as follows:

Rockfish: 10
Cabezon: 8.5
Lingcod: 5.5

Diver with the most points wins Amadeo's print and all the $ goes to the Melanoma cause below:

The son of one of my good friends from Team in Training was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma and is fighting for his life right now.

Dear Friends and Family,

I began fundraising for this event the 4th week of October.  At that point, when I wrote the message below, we believed that our 20 year old son, Connor, was cancer-free.   He was enrolled in college full time and had a job where he worked about 25 hours a week.   Everything was normal.

Also about the 4th week of October, Connor texted me a picture that he'd taken of his eyelid that showed a suspicious looking black spot.   We immediately called his oncologist and had an appt scheduled.    Until that point, Connor felt fine though he had experienced occasional nausea and some body pain, but nothing that stopped him from his daily activities.

On November 1st our family traveled to NYC where I would be running the 2013 NYC Marathon.    During dinner our first night Connor became so sick that the following morning we went to emergency room.     It was there that the first CT scan was done - and it showed all of the tumors in Connor's body.      We immediately returned to California and went directly to emergeny room from the airport.   After a quick review of his CT scan and the report we brought from the NYC hospital - Connor was admitted and we began the long journey of battling stage 4, the final stage, of metastatic melanoma.

Connor has tumors in almost every organ and bones and shows signs of growth in his lungs, but fortunately his MRI brain scan was clear.     He is being treated at UCSF Medical Center - and is on the Tafinlar-Mekinist combo therapy - which is a fairly new drug combo.       He's been on the medication for 3.5 weeks and so far is showing no signs of responding.    This combo is effective in shrinking tumors about 80% of the time.    We are scheduled to have a scan in the next 10 days and based on those results may move to another treatment.    We are not giving up hope.

Our days now are spent with an unrelenting medication schedule to help manage pain and nausea.   His doctors have told me they are not sure how he was walking around with all of this in his body.    Interestingly, he'd had a physical two months prior and all of his blood work was normal.

So, that's the update.  When I read the message I wrote below I recall how wonderful it felt that my son was healthy.   I'm looking forward to a time when I can write a "my son is cancer-free" again.

The dollars that are raised by wonderful organizations like MFNE help support research that are saving peoples lives.    The research is terribly important - but MFNE also does a tremendous amount to raise awareness.   Many people think that melanoma is "just a skin cancer" and no big deal.     Here's what I have to say to that....take a look at a stage 4 CT Scan and you will see the melanoma so much more than skin deep.     I'm leaving my original message below because it gives me hope!

Again, much gratitude to you!

Thanks for visiting my fundraising page!    Most of you know that I'm passionate about supporting cancer-related causes.     Over the past 4 years we've contributed about $55k to support cancer research, and to help cancer victims and their families while they are in treatment.   I say "we" because it was only through the generosity of people like you that raising those dollars were possible.

When I started this journey 4 years ago I was simply looking for a way to give back to my community.   Little did I know that I would be touched so personally during this short time - both my husband and my youngest son - are now cancer survivors.    My husband has had 2 bouts - and is now one year cancer free.

My son, Connor,  was diagnosed with malignant melanoma during his senior year of high school.  I can personally say that having any family member with any kind of illness is awful.   But having a child have go through something like this is unimaginable and there aren't words to describe it.   In fact, it brings tears to my eyes just typing the words.

Am happy to say that after 2 surgeries, over 300 stitches, multiple biopsies, skin grafts and a reconstructive surgery - Connor is now clear, though never out of danger.    Connor will likely have one more reconstructive surgery during the next 2-3 years.

So this cause is near and dear to my heart.

A few facts:

Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults 25-29 years old and the second most common form of cancer for adolescents and young adults 15-29 years old.

One American dies of melanoma almost every hour. In 2013, it is estimated that 9,480 deaths will be attributed to melanoma — 6,280 men and 3,200 women.

The World Health Organization estimates that as many as 65,000 people a year worldwide die malignant skin cancer.

Approximately 75 percent of skin cancer deaths are from melanoma.

I'm honored to have been selected by the MFNE team to raise funds for this cause.   Please help me by contributing this year.

I'm Running for Cover for Connor - my ginger kid and the light of my life!

Much gratitude and love to all of you for your support.

Trace

http://www.crowdrise.com/mfneboston2014/fundraiser/tracycockerham 

All $ will be given to Tracy to either help with Connor's needs or to help with her fundraising for the Melanoma Foundation.

You can use the following PayPal Link or just give me $20 cash/check at beach.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BAKMAHZLUPNWN

Hope to see some of you on January 18th!

Sincerely,

Jim

ps...I confirmed with the Beach Club Manager that the hedgerow parking SHOULD be open and not being used for Pro-Am prep (2/3-2/9). Of course, we can always park at tennis courts and spa if we need to as well.   :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:44:22 PM by BigJim »

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
Re: 2013 DOTY Awards Ceremony, Melanoma Mini-PIF and Potluck
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
In case the hedgerow parking is full when you show up on Saturday 1/18...here's a little map to help out with finding the additional free guest parking at the Spa and Tennis Courts....and a close up one of the Spa and Tennis Courts as well.

It's only a .26 mile walk from the spa parking back down to where the hedgerow parking is. It's paved, flat and easy.  :  )

You can see how big the lots are at Spa and tennis courts. :  )

The spots next to the pier/stairs/bathrooms are for members of pebble beach, not for kayakers/divers/guests.  Unload your gear there, move your car, and just walk on back. No biggie.  :  )

Hope this helps! I marked in blue where we will be doing the DOTY Awards/Potluck/Chill/Fish check in etc.

Thanks fellas!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline kcthor

Re: 2013 NCKA DOTY Awards Ceremony, Melanoma Mini-PIF and Potluck
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »
sweet! i should be able to make it

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
Hey I have stickyed this thread for you
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Joey

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »
Jim,

Sounds like a great event... Wish I could make it that day for the dive, but just made the donation for the cause regardless.  Good luck to those who are competing!

Cheers,

Joey
- Joey

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »
Hey I have stickyed this thread for you

Thanks Matt! I hope you, Jason and Brandon can make it down again like last year!! Slightly different format so Jason will have to shoot more than just one big Ling to win again!  ;)

Jim,

Sounds like a great event... Wish I could make it that day for the dive, but just made the donation for the cause regardless.  Good luck to those who are competing!

Cheers,

Joey

Bummed you can't make it Joey!! I'll be giving out cold drinks for biggest fish awards so will owe you one next time I see you for your big Verm!!

http://doty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/655

THANK YOU for the donation!!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

Online jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
I'm in!! Now I can call all my less successful dives "scouting"!

Offline Desertdiver

• When I Grow Up still want to be a Diver & Fireman
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »
Count me in. My brother Dave just dealt with second bout of melanoma in 10 yrs,  and his wife Karen died of cancer 2 yrs ago this month.  If we can help someone, even just a little,  it does make a difference.   
Thanks for setting this up Jim.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »
Update on Connor's condition from his Mom...not looking good...please keep him in your thoughts and prayers:

We've had an awful day.    Connor rapidly declined.    His pain became almost unmanageable.   

Based on this turn we believe he cannot tolerate radiation and it would not provide any benefit.

So I made the decision today to move him to comfort care.    We are being moved to a special palliative care wing at ucsf to figure out how to make him comfortable.  If we can make him comfortable at home we will eventually come home. If not we will stay here.    We've also removed his fluids.

It could go for weeks but they really expect days. 

He became completely delirious and so I don't believe is aware of any of this.  He will likely not wake up again.

No matter what happens between now and 1/18 any money donated/collected will be given to Connor's Mom Tracy...

You can use the following PayPal Link or just give me $20 cash/check at beach.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BAKMAHZLUPNWN

Hope to see some of you on January 18th.

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 08:54:36 AM »
Heartbreaking. Unfortunately I'll be out of town the day of the event, but I just paypal'd a bit to the fund.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
Heartbreaking. Unfortunately I'll be out of town the day of the event, but I just paypal'd a bit to the fund.

Thank you Dan...I got your donation, and really appreciate your support.

Hope I get to dive with you sometime this year.

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
Some pics of Connor and his Mom Tracy...

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »
Opened up Facebook just now on my phone and read the very sad news that Connor passed away this morning...

We will still give whatever $ we raise on 1/18 to his Mom Tracy to either donate to the Melanoma Foundation to help find a cure for Melanoma, or to help with his final expenses...whatever she feels is best/most needed...

Please keep Connor, his Mom and family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

I know I will be thinking about him on 1/18 when I am out in the water and hope that you all will as well...

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
So sorry to hear my condolences to the famy and rip Connor. Jim we are gonna do our best to attenend if not we will for sure do a pay pal donation if we can not make it down
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »
So sorry to hear my condolences to the famy and rip Connor. Jim we are gonna do our best to attenend if not we will for sure do a pay pal donation if we can not make it down

Thanks Matt...

No problem, I know it is a long way for you guys.

Thanks again for your support.

Sincerely,

Jim

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt