collapse

Author Topic: What kind of stringer?  (Read 1221 times)

Glaucus

What kind of stringer?
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
What kind of stringer do you guys like?  Most of my diving is with a dive float, a boogie board or off an inflatable kayak.  For now all my diving is off our coast.  Do I want a hoop or wire stringer?  Thanks in advance.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

Re: What kind of stringer?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:41:25 PM »
 I use the hoop style stringer its is rigid in the water and makes for less hassle when stringing the fish Matt showed me a great way to use them by shoving the steel through the eye balls this makes it simple...
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »
Matt showed me a great way to use them by shoving the steel through the eye balls this makes it simple...
  hoop stringer for me, That is the way I was shown and it seams to work great.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Calif_Diver

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
when you guys scuba do you attach your hoop stringer to your  self  and have the fish  near you. or how do you  keep it , i overheard part of a conversation on this matter at  the freedive shopm i   didnt catch it all , so im courious , i dont really like to have the fish  close to  me becaus of the taxman  risk , but dont know how else to  handle  the fish on a loop situation.

Abdvrob

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:31:17 PM »
While on SCUBA, I attatch the hoop stringer to my BCD. But Im CONSTANTLY looking around after I have a few fish on. It's a little funny, but after a while, I dont think about it.

While freediving John, I attatch the hoop stringer the float as well. I'd rather have my float shred to pieces  than my leg or torso.

yakfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 05:42:48 PM »
Freediving I hang a hoop stringer from my float or kayak. I wear a mono stringer on my belt or the butt of my gun. If I shoot fish I put them on the mono stringer until I have time to transfer them to the hoop. I try to keep fish on the hoop stringer but you have to have something to hold them until you get to the hoop.

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »
I usually have my hoop stringer attached to a D-ring using a bolt snap for quick releases. Other times, I'll have a side release buckle with some webbing with the other end around a bolt snap, that keeps the bolt snap in place and allows me to remove the stringer, add fish & replace easily. It also makes it easy for me to drop my catch (God forbid!) if I'm harassed by a seal lion or a bigger fish! At that point I'd drop the stringer, take out my knife, stab my dive buddy and swim like hell!

-eR
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »
use a kui stringer  http://www.neptonicsystems.com/stringers.htm   the 6" one is all you need. larger fish (wsb ,halis ,lings) will open a hairpin stringer and get off
halis have a real habit of doing this and has happened to most of the guys i dive with and is the reason they switched . hairpins are also loud and hang up on the reef
phil

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:10:18 PM »
use a kui stringer  http://www.neptonicsystems.com/stringers.htm   the 6" one is all you need. larger fish (wsb ,halis ,lings) will open a hairpin stringer and get off
halis have a real habit of doing this and has happened to most of the guys i dive with and is the reason they switched . hairpins are also loud and hang up on the reef
phil

Phil,

How do you use that kind of stringer? How does it keep the fish from falling off?

Ericson
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 07:37:24 PM »
I've never had my hoop style stringer open on me ever! But it is not the simple squeeze and push around the hook type, it takes much more effort to open it and it looks much more like a safety pin then the larger more circular hoop types. It does however get snagged from time to time on rocks and such, but never enough to warrant not using it. I'd be curious to see how the KUI stringer works in and around kelp and down inside rock holes and such.
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Abdvrob

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »
I have one of the 6" KUI stringers but haven't used it yet. I was going to attatch the loop thru my belt and  made a rubber tube attatchment for the tip to slip into that goes on the other side of my belt. After braining my fish, they wouldn't slip off. I've seen others using that set-up before. But like I said, I haven't tried it out yet due to always just putting my fish on the stringer that is attatched to my float.

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »
it couldnt be simpler on end has a loop you clip to your weight belt (or float)
the other end of the line has a 6" metal spike with a hole in the middle that you tuck or clip in the other side of your belt . then when you get a fish you just stick the spike threw the fishs eyes and the tip togles like a slip tip , and repeat.  i will try and find some pics if you want
phil

Glaucus

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 11:20:12 AM »
Wow, thanks for such a response guys!  I think for now I'll just start out with the hoop style (maybe just to fit in...), but will have to try out a cable for sure as well.  Sounds like personal preference on this one.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 07:06:26 PM »
I found one of those wire looking things with a spear on the end of, it looks to cumbersum, I like my hoop style :icon_joker:
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt