collapse

Author Topic: Fancy Hat Store.... the saga continues  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
Fancy Hat Store.... the saga continues
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
I just got back from a rendezvous with the Oregon coast, and my girlfriend and I hit the motherlode on some private property..... We spent only 2 hours collecting lobster, chanterelles and hedgehogs.
.... very exiting. Not a porcini in sight or a stump. My friend said he hasn't seen but a couple since the first rains and reports from california were pretty grim.

On our way back home we stopped at a secret spot just south of crescent city and we found Gigantic lobsters, some more chanterelles(drier than oregon) and some HUUUUGE Russula and suillus(boletes, but not porcini). as I was climbing the hill I was crawling under manzanita and huckleberry bush and noticed a slightly cleared area in the duff with a potato looking object with some small nibbles as if it was a gopher or rodent...... I sent some pictures of it to my mycologist friends at BAMS and sure enough it was a white truffle!!!   I will be back soon to get a lot more. Here are some pictures to get the mushroom adrenaline going. ALL WE NEED IS MORE RAIN!!!!!

I have to say, even though we were on private property we didn't rape the hill sof the shrooms and were selective with the size, so please spread the word that we should treat the public land on our coast the same way.... MOST IMPORTANTLY SALT POINT AREA

and if you see someone shit in the woods and leave toilet paper roses, just give em a kick in the ass because from what I have heard from a ranger or two , that is one of the primary things that will get the whole collecting "privilege" shut down....  not to mention the van loads of people pulling up to the Jasons back yard and leaving their fuking taco bell trash in forest..... have fun but shun the assholes

if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline todd

Re: Fancy Hat Store.... the saga continues
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »
Nice, but hold the phone- truffle picture very very misleading...that is no truffle, looks very very false.....I will assert my tuber authority as the only mycologists with real Oregon truffle hunting expertise! First described by famous mycologists Harknes, the Oregon truffle first described from our local Mill Valley- I am only seasoned hunter of real tuber that I know of in any local myco club... It don't look real to me... Need more acute ID..... cut open the truffle, take a pic and post it.... it might not be a truffle, doesnt look like a tuber from pic...they are mycorizal with fir and spruce, not manzanita or huckleberry....it doesn't look knobby, dimply, or craked, smooth polished look when clean... could be hypogeous lookalikes...( rizopogon)if its dark it's ripe, if not and pure white then your out of luck, they don't ripen further after picking. True truffle hunters never use photos or macro identification, it's all about the spores.  Debby V is good from Bay Area mushrooms is good at ID but she is no truffle hunter. Infact the only truffle hunter I know is David Capmbell former MSSF president, he field varified the truffle in my ground and brought in to MSSF show and tell at their meeting.  I sold the big one for 100$.....you may have joined our small club
Make a slide w Congo red dye and we can identify the tuber w mycroscope.  Mushroom hobby.com guy lives in Richmond , contact him- Dimitar and he will scope it out and put it on his web site.  Bring it to the fungi fair this weekend in SF and they will scope it out too.
At the SF fair you can buy the field guide to North American truffles 20$
Only Once you pass these test can you call yourself a truffle hunter for the rest of your life- until then keep foraging!

Awsome, time to join the truffle hunting society like me!

Now lets compare said find pic with real Oregon truffle pic side by side and you will see drastic differences without cutting it! Just the macro identification looks way off from the text books....http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuber_gibbosum
http://www.natruffling.org/keys.htm

Jack, key it out first, there are many things other than true tuber, it takes a modicum of skill to key out, not just some photo on a myco blog.  But you are now getting nerdy heady identification tips from truffle hunter, spiny spore is the true marker of the holy grail of all fungi.....
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/brunslab/pmb113/keys/truffles_ascos.pdf

Here is a Oregon white spring truffle I found- tuber gibbosum from my land in San Rafael .
After sending it to the trappe brothers it was classified new species in journal Mycologia! Note knobby, dimples irregular, cracked skin appearance...white immature and dark spored mature specimens! A true Tuber not to be mistaken...Tubers have the most beautiful diverse spores of any fungi- a true holy grail fungi if you find a real one....
http://mushroomhobby.com/Gallery/Truffles/Tuber%20bellisporum/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:35:06 PM by todd »
Todd Stagnaro

Offline BuckNasty

Re: Fancy Hat Store.... the saga continues
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
hats off to that haul, wow.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast