collapse

Author Topic: First Dive Video with GoPro  (Read 3564 times)

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
First Dive Video with GoPro
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »
Hey everyone! Just recently finished my first video project with my GoPro, featuring a dive trip at Sea Ranch this August. Would love some feedback on the editing/footage, and sorry about length, but there was 3 long days of diving crammed into these 12 minutes so enjoy!  :D

Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Copeland

Re: First Dive Video with GoPro
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
Nice job

Offline Marco Mazza

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:45:41 PM »
Great vid jack! You scored with some great visibility as well

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:15:04 AM »
Very Nice Video.  I will make a comment on safety here It appeared in the video that you were following your dive budy with the speargun pointed at his back with both bands loaded.  Not the best of ideas there is a potential for a bad accident. It appears you have more than one type of mount for the camera so you may have thought of this when you were looking at the video already.  Be safe have fun.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Newgun

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »
Ya I saw that too.  Other than that it's a really good video.  Not too long.  Good music and editing.  Make more.  Be safe!

Offline JackSquirt

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't even realize the speargun issue until I saw the footage, but i'll never make that mistake again! I will definitely use more various mounts for better angles and try and get some more projects in motion now that duck season is open

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »
Nice fish and abs! Another thing about speargun mounting for the GoPro is that once you pull the trigger the gun floats away and the camera goes with it. Head mounts make for better videos I think. Just be sure to tilt it down enough.

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 09:33:57 AM »
Good work!  You had some great vis and flat seas.  As for the safety issue at 9:20 into the video, I know you are now aware but don't let the education stop there.  I notice that you dive with a big crew, pass on what you have learned from watching this so all your buddies can learn from it as well.  One of the best things about this forum is that we have the opportunity to learn from others mistakes which makes us all safer divers.  I look forward to your future videos. Ken
Ken Butler

Offline JackSquirt

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »
Head mounts make for better videos I think. Just be sure to tilt it down enough.

Yeah I made a wrist/forearm mount out of my knife straps because it would be ideal for use with an ab bar or speargun, its closer to the objects I am filming (rather than on my head), and less shaky than the head cam since my arms move less than my head. Plus it still provides for that first person shooter look and I can literally just "point and shoot" good footage!

As for the safety issue at 9:20 into the video, I know you are now aware but don't let the education stop there.  I notice that you dive with a big crew, pass on what you have learned from watching this so all your buddies can learn from it as well.  One of the best things about this forum is that we have the opportunity to learn from others mistakes which makes us all safer divers.  I look forward to your future videos. Ken

Thanks for the pointers, my family and I have been ab diving for years, but with the introduction of spearfishing, diving has gotten a little more "complicated"   ??? hahaha. Will definitely share the knowledge and I appreciate how much I've learned already from everyone on the site!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
You can leave the gopro on the gun, but when you're diving with friends you either film or hunt.  Leave the gun unloaded and film.  If you see a good fish load the gun and go back down and shoot it.  The gun mount give a good perspective until you land the fish.

Offline ABHUNTER501

• Check this out!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »
 :D Nice viz and cool tunes. Enjoyed the vid good job. Greg

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »
Great video! I'll subscribe to make sure see your next one. At 1:52 I could feel the eel grass on my face.

Re: safety, I don't want mammal blood in the water......

Offline Desertdiver

• When I Grow Up still want to be a Diver & Fireman
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
Enjoyed your vid.  Nice to be able to revisit fun dives another day. Keep em coming

Offline snapperhead

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »
Great video and editing. I am a newbie also, I didn't notice the gun issue :o. I will go back and watch it to see and learn as well.

Offline underwater1

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 07:05:33 PM »
Sweet conditions.  Nice shooting:)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt