collapse

Author Topic: Pole Spear Tip help!  (Read 1358 times)

Glaucus

Pole Spear Tip help!
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:44:01 AM »
Looking for a little advice here.  I have a pole spear and for some reason I like using it.  I'm going to get a gun, maybe at the freedive shop's sale.  I passed on a ling last weekend 'cause I thought I'd lose it.  Right now I have the 3 prong paralizer, but was thinking of going to a diff tip.  What I want to know is if you guys think I can shoot a ling or cab with the pole spear, assuming I get another tip for it.  If so, anyone have a recommendation for a tip?  Thanks in advance.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Pole Spear Tip help!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:35:29 PM »
Yes buy a gun !!!!!!!!!!!
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Abdvrob

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
Yes buy a gun !!!!!!!!!!!

+1!!!!! Stop farting around with that tickle stick and geta gun.  :laughing7:  Vanessa and Greg should hook you right up.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:57:32 PM »
i feel the same ,check out leisure pro. i found a nice little gun i picked up for 80 bucks there.its not as nice as the woodies most of these guys have but it dose the trick for a tight budget.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »
You can definatly spear a cab or ling with a pole spear I have seen some huge fish brought in with a pole spear.  You would need one with a single flopper and a pole heavy enough to push it.  There are some real nice aluminum pole spears on the market.  I think the gatku is a little light for up north I would go for a chris.

A small hole gun is nice too.
Myrel C. Willeford

Glaucus

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:11:28 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice guys, I plan on taking all of it.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:22 PM »
Glaucus BUY a gun you will be wondering why you havent already. I used a pole for years and lost some nice fish, bought a gun  a year ago and havent lost one yet except the ones I ocasionally miss lol. Take Matts advise "buy a gun"
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 04:32:30 AM »
Glaucus BUY a gun you will be wondering why you havent already. I used a pole for years and lost some nice fish, bought a gun  a year ago and havent lost one yet except the ones I ocasionally miss lol. Take Matts advise "buy a gun"

If you shoot larger fish you will have a few lost ones :toothy9: :laughing7:
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 12:02:02 PM »
Yep, and then they swim off and die for nothing! Pole spears are great for light fish taking, but it is not worth the risk of injuring and losing a fish, just because you are trying to take it with the wrong gear! Guns aren't that expensive, under $200 should set you up with a nice two bander that will last you literally forever! Just hunt around because buying other peoples toys right now is cheap!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Glaucus

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »
Okay, I was going to get a suit and maybe a gun this weekend, but now I'm getting a gun and hopefully a suit!  Thanks for the info everyone.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:02:41 PM »
Hey Glaucus,
     I just checked out ebay for spear guns. There is a really nice JBL Woody Magnum for Buy-it-now of $125 plus $20 shipping. This gun is perfect for what we do up on the North Coast. It has three band capability which makes it strong as hell and good enough for long shots of ten feet and short enough to get into any hole! It is the gun I want to get next to go with my longer 3 band AB Biller. Just thought I'd tell ya! It's fun trying to spend other peoples money! :toothy9:
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Glaucus

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 08:11:19 PM »
Thanks Bro!  That's probably better than I can do a the free dive shop this weekend.

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »
Nothing wrong with a pole spear with the right tip in the right hands.
My buddies Aaron and Dominic only use pole spears, but they use good ones with flopper tips.  Way less chance of loosing fish than with a bad shot & a paralizer tip.
If I was spending the $$, I'd get the good wetsuit before I got the good gun.  You'll be amazed at how much better you'll dive with a warm comfortable suit.  Just get a new tip for the pole.
-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »
if you just want a reason to get a gun get one,but if not just get a 5 prong "rake" tip and only take head shots on lings and you will be fine .thats how i shot my first 20 or so lings up to around 30# without losing any. ab biller and jbl also make good ,cheap slip tips. there is no reason you should loose any more fish with a pole spear than a gun
phil

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
I have been using a 5 prong trident with barbs for the past 20 years on the end of my fiberglass spear pole. It has a 12 to 24 inch range on the small fish. I have taken some lings with a clear shot to the head within 12 inch's. It is more challenging to get close to the fish. It is a bummer to have to pass up some of the big ones or wave your buddy over to shoot em with there gun. You can ask Mike R about how fun that is  :toothy10:.
The nice thing about a spear pole is if you loose it, Its not as big of expense to replace as a gun.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt