collapse

Author Topic: Warden Stamp ????  (Read 4955 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Warden Stamp ????
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
Came across this another board, NOT MY WORDS what are your thoughts  I know S.C.A.N has already Ben giving and donating to DFG already. They are going to need all the help they can get with all these new closures to protroll in this wonderful poachers Paradise they made.

"Arnold wants us to fund his mess again!!!! California governor signs "Warden's Stamp" legislation for 2010
Law gives anglers and hunters tangible way to support work of state's fish and game wardens
October 15, 2009
By Ron Ballanti (More articles by this author)

Beginning in January 2010, California fishermen will be able to show support for their state's hardworking Department of Fish and Game wardens in a very tangible way. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger recently signed legislation that will help provide California's hard-pressed game wardens with some welcome relief. The legislation, AB 1442, will among other things allow the Department of Fish and Game to offer a "Warden's Stamp," generating funds for under-funded programs that help train and equip state wardens.

"California fishermen and hunters have long complained about the way Sacramento has treated wardens. Now we as sportsmen have the chance to put our money where our mouth is," said Tom Raftican of The Sportfishing Conservancy, one of the bill's sponsors. "With nearly two million licensed anglers in California, we can really get behind those folks who put their lives on the line protecting our great outdoors," he added.

The $5 stamp, which will be sold alongside hunting and fishing licenses, will be voluntary and will not generate pay directly for the wardens, but will help fund special equipment for them, help in their advanced training and provide some family benefits that the state no longer can afford.

"Anglers have persistently led the fight for conservation and wardens have tirelessly protected California's resources," said April Wakeman, programs director for The Sportfishing Conservancy. "Great fishing depends on great resources," she added.

The warden stamp will be an optional donation when sportsmen purchase hunting or fishing licenses beginning January 2010. "
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:10:49 AM by MATT MATTISON »
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Glaucus

Re: Warden Stamp ????
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »
I'm happy any time I have the OPTION to allocate my funds as I see fit.   Sounds like a good program to me.  I like the idea of folks being able to support the programs they feel add value to a community. 

They going to stamp my license saying I donated to the fund, that way when I've inadvertently violate some meaningless law (like losing my 7" gauge in the water and getting caught with only a 10" gauge) I may get the benefit of the doubt...?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:49:14 PM by Glaucus »

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »
My question is who is going to Handel and distribute the founds ? and is it going to help with the mandatory fourloughs and no overtime ? From previous history don't look good cause I am wrong but our ca fishing lic and tags already cover that ? where does all that money go I heard once there is something like 40 million in ca fishing lic sales a year ?
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »
Im sorry, but I dont think I would support it, the state can'nt run sh%$ so what makes them think they can handle more money, sounds like the Ca lotto program, where is the money for our schools from lotto. The state broke itself and it's asking Californians to bail them out with DFG, I dont think so, the Gov. can kiss my A&&. What has he done for us lately, oh yea close some prime ocean spots. :thefinger: :thefinger:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:04:27 PM by Stacy Stephenson »
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Glaucus

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 02:06:04 PM »
You guys make some good points and ask some good questions that need answers.   I hear ya.

However, I still look at it like this.  We all pay taxes and see the money go to projects we don't agree with as well as the "who the hell knows where the money goes" fund that must be overflowing with money.  But.... most of us would agree that there are at least a few areas where they would like to see more money go.  You only have a few options here.  You can sit around and squawk (not very effective).  Make more so you get taxed more (not very easy).  Vote accordingly (not many opportunities for this one).  Or, when the state allows, you can donate directly where you see fit.  Having the option is never a bad thing as I see it.   

For me "underfunded programs that help train and equip state wardens" is somewhere I'd like to see more money go (assuming a few more questions are answered, like who handles the dough).  I believe this is one of the best mantras of the Republican party - 'Let ME decide where MY money goes'!  I'm not about to go donating entire paychecks or anything, but if they can raise a few bucks for Zodi's and training to catch a few @$$holes poaching, then yeah... I got five on it.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »
They put us between a rock and a hard place here. I don't feel that they can manage another dime either. But, if we aren't willing to cough up a measly five bucks in support of the enforcement of our resources, then we look as if we don't truly care as much as we say we do, you know, put your money where your mouth is kind of thing. It sucks! This thread is much like the rant I had about Pt. lobos and its new fees, nobody seemed to have my back there, so why all the bitching now? This is only five bucks, but let me remind you all of the new fees at Lobos, just because, well, it makes me happy alright? Reservation fee (required on weekends for a boat) $10, Vehicle Day Use fee $10, Boat Use fee $5 (reservation for boat doesn't pay for this) and last but not least, Diver fee $10 per. Only teams of two are allowed, so, that's a grand total of $45!!!!!!!! Before Sept. 1st it was a grand total of $12 w/o reservations and $24 w/reservations. No diver or boat fees! So in conclusion, it looks like this state will not be done wiping its butt with our money for quite some time. Glaucus, I understand the perspective of the whole picture, I wish I could feel happy with that knowledge but I just can't, it still seems like an unfair poke at a select few. Soapbox rendered. :icon_tongue:
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »
I will not be supporting another "donatation" to the government despite  the cause. 

MN 

Glaucus

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »
I will not be supporting another "donatation" to the government despite  the cause. 

MN
But do you mind having the option?  Just curious, cause it sounds like thats where Divn-Cali stands (when he's not up on his soapbox).

And Divn-Cali, you're right  :icon_salut:, 45 bones is way too much to dive a state park.  Will the parks be just for the moneyed folks out there someday?  That aint right.

Glaucus

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
DFG collects over 56MM on sportfishing licenses in 2009.  All told, with hunting and comm fishing licenses, they collect about 78MM.  Damn.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »

[/quote]
But do you mind having the option?  .
[/quote]

The option is already there, but now it is official.

I don't take exception to people doing with their money what they please.  I would prefer that if a particular individual would like to make a "donation" to a particular burocracy that they do it privately and not be "allowed to" or perhaps "persuaded to" because the legislators  allowed a stamp to be created that makes people "feel" good that they did it.  The allowance is crutch to fund a poorly run burocracy, it is step one to making it become a requirement.  Once the requirement is there it will not likely be removed.  These things happen all too often under our very noses.

I will do my part to help the wardens by purchasing the proper license and stamps,  not breaking the law, and  being cordial when I deal with them.  No more, no less.

My $0.02.

MN

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »
I hear ya Mike, I hear ya!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 05:52:20 PM »
im with mike n on this one. seems like they are trying to talk us into "donating" our money so they can make it look better the next year when our license goes up 5 bucks, or the tag becomes a requirement.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Tim C.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 06:19:34 PM »
Glaucus, I'd like to hear the whole story about the ab gauge.  Did you fight it? How much were you fined...  Just curious.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 06:23:49 PM »
I can see it now "You can't give me a ticket you Fing jerk I pay your salary see I have the warden stamp take it back"  :laughing4: :laughing4:

All in all if the money actully went to the wardens only it would be good with me, I just don't want to see the money dumped into the general fund to pay for other crapy services we don't need.

Myrel C. Willeford

Abdvrob

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 06:41:34 PM »
it is step one to making it become a requirement.  Once the requirement is there it will not likely be removed.  These things happen all too often under our very noses.

BINGO!! Very good point Mike! Like Brandon said, its all good the first year, next year it will be mandatory. No "donation".

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt