collapse

Author Topic: Retail value of a 10" abalone shell  (Read 13071 times)

juliette.eliza

Retail value of a 10" abalone shell
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
Hey folks,

I've got a question about the value of abalone shells.  I realize this might be a difficult one to answer, but any advice or input is welcome...

We had a small house fire over the weekend (nothing major, everyone is ok, mostly just smoke damage).

One of the items that was damaged was one of my husband's 10"-10.5" abalone shell.  Our insurance company needs a "retail value" of the item in order to process it as part of our claim.  Does anyone have any idea of what the retail value of a whole (no chips) 10"+ abalone shell would be?

Thanks in advance!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Retail value of a 10" abalone shell
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
I am so sorry to hear this. As for the trophy abalone shells go they are Priceless !!!   As per DFW laws the abalone shell can not be sold traded or bartered if taken under a sport lic, I am assuming this was the case with your husbands shell. So it would be hard to put a dollar value on something you can not legally sell. That is where there term Sentimental value comes in you really could put any value you want on it. Now What happened to the shell it is it in pieces ? if in pieces how small of pieces shells can be glued back together like a puzzle. I would tell the issuance company it was worth 1million dollars click on link below

CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

juliette.eliza

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  That's what I was afraid of... I e-mailed a few jewelry places too to get their opinions.  I agree that it's priceless, it's not like we can just go out pick up another one at the store. I'll have to wait and see how the adjustor wants to handle it.

It's in pieces, and they didn't tell me right away so I don't even have all of them, I didn't even know they had broken one until I found the smaller pieces in a patch of rocks in our drive way, then one of the girls cleaning found the 2 larger pieces tucked behind some boxes and things under the workbench in our garage.  :-(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:50:55 PM »
Would he like to go out and try to get another one?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
That sucks, but hey find the silver lining in all this and that is, it gives  him a reason and fuel to the fire  to go out and find another one and one that is even bigger !!! Trust me lots of ten inch abalone to be found in our water, Sonoma,mendo have lots of tens just get off the beaten path and dive less pressured area's.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

juliette.eliza

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »
Lol, his fire doesn't need any fueling! He already dives most weekends (including tomorrow of course). :-)

But hey, I never argue with the tasty dinners that come from those big guys! They sure beat my 7"s!!!

Offline ggibson

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »
Would he like to go out and try to get another one?

Yes he would.  And he plans too!

I'm the poor sap with the broken shell here, and yes, sentimental only.  No worries, August is just around the corner.  I'll replace it and then some!

That sucks, but hey find the silver lining in all this and that is, it gives  him a reason and fuel to the fire  to go out and find another one and one that is even bigger !!! Trust me lots of ten inch abalone to be found in our water, Sonoma,mendo have lots of tens just get off the beaten path and dive less pressured area's.

There's no tens in sonoma county.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 02:21:10 PM »
Oh, THAT Juliette.   

Offline underwater1

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss Greg.  I got an idea @ where you might get your next limit of monsters:)

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »
That 10" abalone shell is definitely an "irreplaceable possession".

If u had to place a "value" on that shell you could do the math.

X amount of dives to get that 10" ab cost you how much?

X amount on gas, gear ect, ect...

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
I think it's the full manufacturer's suggested retail cost of all the dive gear you have ever had, for insurance purposes. You had to shell that out to find the ab, right?

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 11:29:46 AM »
Check Ebay
You may not find a 10 inch red abalone but there are ab shells your adjuster can get some prices.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt