collapse

Author Topic: Do all scuba training classes require swim test??  (Read 810 times)

jaime

Do all scuba training classes require swim test??
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:56:13 AM »
I've inquired checked out 3 training programs, all requires some sort of swimming test.  The most rigorous one requires swimming 250 yards without stopping, then swimming underwater for 50 feet, then tread water for 10 minutes.  I don't think I can pass those tests at this point, not without getting back into shape.  I think I can maybe swim maybe 150 yards, then rest, then swim some more. 

Does this mean I cannot get trained to scuba dive?  Are there any programs that are more relaxed?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Do all scuba training classes require swim test??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 09:59:39 AM »
Yes you can get certifed check out SSI or padi they are pretty much turn and burn but you will get what you put into them, I have never heard of anyone not passing most shops will do what it takes to get you that cert cause they want that cash.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
I'm certified NAUI and PADI both had very minimal swimming. If I remember right in PADI we treaded water for less than 10 min that was it. In NAUI we swam the length of the pool twice treaded water for 5 mins. that  was it. You shouldnt have any problems
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Abdvrob

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
Shiot!! In 89 I didn't have to do any of that crap. Just study and do the damn check-out dives. Even when I got Rescue Diver Certified a few years ago, I didn't have to do that. This was thru PADI as well. When I got Open Water it was NASDS.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 02:18:50 PM »
I don't recall doing any swimming tests until Divemaster. I did all of my training through PADI. You know, I don't see the point in swimming tests for beginners, heck, with a BC that allows you to sink or float at will, all you really need to know how to do is kick your dang feet!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Calif_Diver

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
twenty years ago  in PADI i had to do swim test, its not as hard as you think, i think they  even let us use the fins,

rangair94

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
When I certified through  PADI a few months ago we had to swim 21 lengths of the pool which was a small pool. We used mask fins and snorkel, and there was no time limit. Tread water for 10 minutes. You can float on your back if you want. They don't care what you do as long as you don't touch the sides of the pool. I think we had to do something else but I don't remember it. Must not have been to bad. We had a couple older men in the class probably 60ish and everyone got their cert. I think what people had the most trouble with was removing their mask underwater.

Glaucus

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »
Not really talking smack here bit you ought to be able to swim 250 yards. That's 5-6 minutes going really slowly (I'm talking like breast stroke the whole way).  Find a puplic pool you can use and give it a try. 

Calif_Diver

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 08:06:28 PM »
Yeah that mask removal freaked me out, i should practice it more often, or swim farther away from dive buddy.

JChoy

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »
Officially you need to the swim tests - 200yds without stopping, 10 min treading/floating, 50ft underwater on a single breath. But most places really just want your money, so as long as you won't get you or others killed, they'll probably let you through. If you can swim and free dive, you're ahead of most of the people that I've seen taking a SCUBA class I've been helping at.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt