collapse

Author Topic: smoked Abalone?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline HookinFish

smoked Abalone?
« on: June 13, 2013, 08:19:50 AM »
I have been thinking about smoking abalone for a while and I was curious if anyone has ever tried it before? I was thinking whole smoked abalone would be nice but the smoked flavor might be too mild. I was then thinking about pounding the whole ab and slicing it into maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and brining it in mirin and soy sauce and then smoking it with apple chips but I dont want to over brine or over smoke. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
Re: smoked Abalone?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
It's alright, I prefer it over tobacco, but it doesn't get you as high as you'd think.

Offline todd

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
I had a recipie for smoked ab hoopa style.

Cut slices as normal, pound, brush w oil, salt pepper.
Put on a cedar plank over indirect heat on bbq.  Use another cedar plank and sacrifice it to the fire gods, put one end into the coals, once its flamming, put top on to snuff it out.... In 5 seconds there should be epic dank smoke comming out that will saturate your ab....

Once smoke is weak( 5 min) repeat process and stoak up the spare cedar plank to fire again, snuff it out for smoke, repeat for 30 minutes.....

Todd Stagnaro

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
Todd... you sound like you're a natural thinker, we should really hit up Marin sometime.. But my spot is over run with spandex campers at the moment... nice smoking concept!
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt