collapse

Author Topic: Sending Abalone to Hawaii?  (Read 847 times)

Offline HookinFish

Sending Abalone to Hawaii?
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
I was curious if anyone has ever sent an Abalone to friends or family? I was thinking of sending one or two over to family in Hawaii and was hoping for some pointers or recommendations. I was thinking boiling and the freezing it or maybe just freezing it and sending it. I had some boiled in Mirin and Sake and sliced paper thin once and that was awesome. I figured it might ship well. Any recommendations?

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Sending Abalone to Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:12:22 PM »
I've sent it frozen packed in dry ice.  I don't know if you can still ship dry ice.

Offline HookinFish

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:29:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can you just need to declare that you have dry ice in the package. Did you use ups or regular usps?

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:41 PM »
I don't remember, it's been about 15 years.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:51:43 AM »
From DFG Q & A:

Question: Is it legal to ship harvested red abalone as gifts within California and also out of state if the abalone is tagged and still in the shell? If yes, anything else we should be aware of?
— Michelle G.
Answer: There are ways to gift abalone to an out-of-state person, but you would have to abide by the some rules and check with out-of-state officials to make sure they allow importation. Here are the rules:

No more than the legal bag and possession limit of three abalone may be possessed at any time. This means you cannot ship more than three abalone at a time. Otherwise, the shipper and the person picking up the abalone are exceeding the limit.
It is unlawful for a common carrier or his agent to transport or receive more than the bag limit of birds, mammals, fish or amphibia.
Abalone in possession (including transportation) shall not be removed from their shell, except as they are being prepared for immediate consumption. Abalone must be shipped whole, in the shell with the tags attached.
Any package in which birds, mammals, fish or amphibia are offered for transportation by a common carrier must have the name and address of the shipper and of the consignee and must say how many animals of what species are contained in the box.
Fish and Game codes prohibit shipping of wildlife via parcel post, so you must use a private shipper.
Again, different states might have regulations. Check with authorities for their requirements. For example, here are some of the laws regarding bringing abalone into California. Other states may have similar laws: Abalone or abalone meat legally taken outside the state may be imported when accompanied by a U.S. customhouse entry certificate showing the place of origin, and a certificate or clearance from the responsible governmental agency to the effect that such shipment was made in compliance with the laws and regulations of the place of origin, and such abalone or abalone meat may be possessed in this state and shipped or transported out of the state, but all containers shall be marked with the abalone's place of origin.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt