collapse

Author Topic: anyone have a dependable (red) urchin spot?  (Read 1731 times)

Offline ibettinger

anyone have a dependable (red) urchin spot?
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
I've been searching like crazy this year to find a good, dependable urchin spot. Van Damme is carpeted with purples, but I'll be damned if I can find a good location for red urchins.

I've come across the occasional 2-3 (anchor bay, glass beach), but nothing dependable.

When I dove as a kid (early '90s), the damn things were everywhere and abalone seemed harder to find. Now it's the opposite, abalone are everywhere and the urchins are scarce.

Thanks for any advice guys!

Cheers,
Ian

Offline todd

Re: anyone have a dependable (red) urchin spot?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »
Patricks point in humboldt has many red urchin....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline fuzz

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »
Is there an edibility difference?

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
Is there an edibility difference?

I've eaten both, I think they taste the same, the bigger red ones make for more substantial portion sizes. As for spots, I see them pretty much everywhere up North. Just look in cracks and holes below 20 ft.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline todd

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
The edible difference bewteen the two is great.  The purples are smaller and hard to get clean.  The reds are bigger, eaiser to clean and the international market favors the big reds.
But dont just get the biggest ones u can find, they will be over mature.  The medium size has the active gonads and will be supper orange compared to dull orange. Commercial divers know this...I can get my 35 limit anytime up in humboldt, the most ive ever taken was 5.  They live 75+ years.  We did a genome project on the purple, its light receptors on its spines are closely related to our eye evolution development...
Todd Stagnaro

Offline fuzz

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
The edible difference bewteen the two is great.  The purples are smaller and hard to get clean.  The reds are bigger, eaiser to clean and the international market favors the big reds.
But dont just get the biggest ones u can find, they will be over mature.  The medium size has the active gonads and will be supper orange compared to dull orange. Commercial divers know this...I can get my 35 limit anytime up in humboldt, the most ive ever taken was 5.  They live 75+ years.  We did a genome project on the purple, its light receptors on its spines are closely related to our eye evolution development...

Interesting stuff! 

Question regarding the over mature gonads of the monster urchins - don't the large ones don't go through stages of gravidity like the small/medium ones?

Offline ibettinger

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »

Yeah, great info, thanks! I'll definitely try Patrick's point next time I'm that far up.

My experience is also that the purple vs red taste difference isn't huge, but I haven't had purple more than once or twice. The Japanese say that the health of the surrounding kelp beds has a lot to do with the quality.

Anyone have any suggestions in Mendo or farther south? Even south of the bay would be ok by me, I'm based out of Oakland.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
I could have sworn that I pulled a few big bright red (almost pink) out of Point Arena, but once I had them out of the water and at home, they were almost black!

Offline SnailHunter

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »
I saw a bunch of red urchin in South Salt Point this weekend.  They were shallower than normal too, between 15 and 20ft.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
I saw a bunch of red urchin in South Salt Point this weekend.  They were shallower than normal too, between 15 and 20ft.
you can not take urchin with in the salt point SMCA check the regs fin fish and abalone only.

Guide to the North-Central California MPAs - August 2010
Guide to the North-Central California MPAs - August 2010
Salt Point State Marine Conservation Area
Boundary and Regulations
from
California Code of
Regulations, Title 14 Section 632, sub-section (b)(13)
(A) Boundary
This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight
lines connecting the following points in the order listed:
38°35.60’N. lat. 123°20.80’W. long. ;
38°35.60’N. lat. 123°21.00’W. long. ;
38°33.50’N. lat. 123°21.00’W. long. ;
38°33.50’N. lat. 123°18.91’W. long. , except that Gerstle Cove
is excluded.
(B) Permitted/Prohibited Uses
Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except the
recreational take of abalone and finfish.
Gerstle Cove State Marine Reserve
Boundary and Regulations

from
California Code of
Regulations, Title 14 Section 632, sub-section (b)(14)
(A) Boundary
This area lies within the Salt Point State Marine Conservation
Area and is bounded by the mean high tide line and a straight line
connecting the following points:
38° 33.95’N. lat. 123° 19.92’W. long. ; and
38° 33.95’N. lat. 123° 19.76’W. long.
(B) Permitted/Prohibited Uses
Take of all living marine resources is prohi

http://www.californiampas.org/pages/regions/northcentralcoast/nccpdfs/saltpointsmca.pdf
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline BuckNasty

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »
I hear the Farallones are loaded with 'em...

Offline poidogdives

• Banks Board Spearfishing
    • BanksBoard
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 07:15:50 PM »
Moat Creek has lots of red urchins.
Innovation that Floats!
 www.banksboard.com

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »

Ive had bad ones and good tasting urchin, now I know why.
Thanks for the info Todd.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt