collapse

Author Topic: Timber Cove spots?  (Read 8905 times)

Offline jason atlantis odonnell

Re: Timber Cove spots?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
Wow, what a bunch of crap! It is not legal to scuba scout for abs, worse yet it is totally dickless. Those poor bastard abalones are just stuck there. They can't run or hide or fight back at all.
The mistake about this thread is that you are asking a buch of city slickers,keyboard huggers, you should ask someone who lives in timber cove! Way too much ethics on this thread for me. Scuba and abalone is not fair to the abalone, work on diving better, and no abalone can hide from you...ever!! You want to see some spots in timber cove? Pm me, you guys can stop bickering about timber cove now, cause it is mine!!!! Be nice to each other, when I see you guys not being nice , I feel like a bad mom watching her shitty little kids fight!!, be nice goddammit!!!
Buck nasty, what was that stupid sheepshead comment about? Have you ever shot and eaten a sheepshead? I understand you we're standing up for rot tie which I commend, however that sheepshead comment is straight ignorant. You guys gotta give rob 102 a break, the 102 is his age, that's why he is so grumpy!!!!!
  PS: quit talking shit about my home, there is nothing here? Keep telling yourself that! I have many great spots here and none of them did I find on the Internet. I find all my spots the same way....Freediving.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:16:00 PM by jason atlantis odonnell »

Offline Newgun

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
Jason you are absolutely right.  Asking a city slicker about abalone is like asking a hick about dental plans.  It just doesn't make sense.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 10:23:45 PM »
Wow, what a bunch of crap! It is not legal to scuba scout for abs, worse yet it is totally dickless. Those poor bastard abalones are just stuck there. They can't run or hide or fight back at all.
The mistake about this thread is that you are asking a buch of city slickers,keyboard huggers, you should ask someone who lives in timber cove! Way too much ethics on this thread for me. Scuba and abalone is not fair to the abalone, work on diving better, and no abalone can hide from you...ever!! You want to see some spots in timber cove? Pm me, you guys can stop bickering about timber cove now, cause it is mine!!!! Be nice to each other, when I see you guys not being nice , I feel like a bad mom watching her shitty little kids fight!!, be nice goddammit!!!
Buck nasty, what was that stupid sheepshead comment about? Have you ever shot and eaten a sheepshead? I understand you we're standing up for rot tie which I commend, however that sheepshead comment is straight ignorant. You guys gotta give rob 102 a break, the 102 is his age, that's why he is so grumpy!!!!!
  PS: quit talking shit about my home, there is nothing here? Keep telling yourself that! I have many great spots here and none of them did I find on the Internet. I find all my spots the same way....Freediving.

Bravo Zulu

Offline todd

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »
Abalone thoughts: everyone is in a rush to find them but the abalone never run away....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline Newgun

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »
I think people are just having fun at this point.

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »

Jason lets meet for a hug lol!!!
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »
Just read the regs again - yup, as defined, "take" can mean pursue.  How could a diver on SCUBA "tag" an ab or point it out to a freediver without pursuing it? -- Sounds good to me!!

But I have to wonder if the language has ever been challenged in court - seems overly broad.  What if someone was just looking around for abs to see them in the wild but looked suspicious? Could they be cited for illegal take?  After all -- the language says "pursue" = "take".  I still think a judge could rule either way depending on circumstances.  It wouldn't hurt if language was added to the regs that makes it clear assisting a freediver while on SCUBA is forbidden. But if I'm on SCUBA and come across a good spot... there's no way I'd just forget about it!  Getting cited under those circumstances seems unreasonable but it sounds like some of you have had wardens tell you that's exactly what they would do. (I wonder if they've ever tagged someone for it)  And if you read the regs closely, they could be interpreted that the use of a float line, GPS or fish finder could also be considered illegal since the only implements allowed in the regs for "take" (aka pursuit) are, to quote: "Abalone may be TAKEN only by hand or by DEVICES commonly known as abalone irons."   
--- just sayin' I think the language in the regulations could stand to be improved.  Citizens shouldn't need to consult an attorney before they hunt in order to avoid citations while in an honest attempt to follow the law and then get screwed.
-------------
§ 86.  "Take" means hunt, pursue, catch, capture, or kill, or attempt
to hunt, pursue, catch, capture, or kill.

§1.80. Take.

Hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill fish, amphibians, reptiles, mol-
lusks, caistaceans or invertebrates or attempting to do so.
NOTE; Authority cited: Sections 200, 202, 205, 210, 219 and 220, Fish and Game
Code. Reference: Sections 86, 200-202, 203.1, 205-210 and 215-222, Fish and
Game Code.

§29.15. Abalone.

(e) Special Gear Provisions: The use of SCUBA gear or surface sup-
plied air to take abalone is prohibited. Abalone may not be taken or pos-
sessed aboard any boat, vessel, or floating device in the water containing
SCUBA or surface supplied air. Abalone may be taken only by hand or
by devices commonly known as abalone irons. Abalone irons must be
less than 36 inches long, straight or with a curve having a radius of not
less than 18 inches, and must not be less than 3/4 inch wide nor less than
1/16 inch thick. All edges must be rounded and free of sharp edges.
Knives, screwdrivers and sharp instruments are prohibited.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 11:42:08 PM »
Taking abalone by freediving is cheating. What we need is restrained-diving for abalone. Minimum 35lbs and 35 feet, no fins, no snorkel, no wetsuit, no ab iron. Mask optional.

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
My buddy and I are going to take the kayaks out of Timber Cove on Wednesday.  We'll be using scuba tanks to look for some new spots to freedive later.

We've heard  that it can get good past the point on the right side and were wondering if anyone knew anything about that spot.  Or was it the left side?  Feel free to PM me.  I'll report back privately to anyone who gives me any advice/pointers for spots to explore. 

All of the Sonoma coast has potential to produce huge abs and fish. Bottom contour and fishing pressure are the main factors determining which spots will produce. The best way to find good hunting grounds is to explore yourself. That's half the fun, right? :P If there are very few public launches in a remote area such as the Sonoma coast one would think the further away from these launches would produce more, right?

It's mostly recon to find abalone to come back to later on and pull freediving.

I believe what your proposing to do is illegal as stated by many in this thread.

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 11:48:48 PM »

+100

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 11:50:02 PM »

Bravo Zulu

WTF is Zulu?? LOL!!

Can u please explain for us "younger folk"

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 04:59:54 AM »
WTF is Zulu?? LOL!!

Can u please explain for us "younger folk"

It said Bravo Zulu.  It's not an age thing, it's a military thing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:03:45 AM by Rob102 »

Offline jason atlantis odonnell

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 07:28:34 AM »
You guys are awesome and I couldn't be more proud to come from norcal....duck foot i am with you on the pursue equals take, the real fuked up part is that we keep making rules and bro they can't even enforce 20 year old rules. If you put on a tank with the intention of scouting big abs well you are using scuba to get abs.
You are from norcal, you dive the most treacherous stretch of coast in Cali. You learned to dive here in these shit harsh and unforgiving conditions. All of these things have made you a stronger diver than you think. Believe in yourself. If you are a bad diver here you are a descent diver everywhere else, warm flat water is something we know nothing about. I know you can find big abs. The time you spend looking will make you a better diver, don't short yourself all that experience. This is a marathon not a sprint. Getting big abs is a badge you want to earn, not have given to you anyways, right?    I always say, no amount of tens will make you a good person....if you we're a shithead before you got a ten, well you will still be a shithead after.

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »
...if you we're a shithead before you got a ten, well you will still be a shithead after.

Damn.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »
I always say, no amount of tens will make you a good person....if you we're a shithead before you got a ten, well you will still be a shithead after.

Yessir!  Eloquently and succinctly stated.  Thank you.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt