collapse

Author Topic: Timber Cove spots?  (Read 8882 times)

Offline StinkyPete

Timber Cove spots?
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
My buddy and I are going to take the kayaks out of Timber Cove on Wednesday.  We'll be using scuba tanks to look for some new spots to freedive later.

We've heard  that it can get good past the point on the right side and were wondering if anyone knew anything about that spot.  Or was it the left side?  Feel free to PM me.  I'll report back privately to anyone who gives me any advice/pointers for spots to explore. 

With this trip, we're hoping to pull a few urchin for my father, and maybe grab a scallop or two.  It's mostly recon to find abalone to come back to later on and pull freediving.
Carpe piscem

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Timber Cove spots?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:06:48 PM »
Really?  You're going to scout for ab with scuba and you want us to give you spots?  You must be kidding.

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »
Really?  You're going to scout for ab with scuba and you want us to give you spots?  You must be kidding.
Would you change your mind if he said please?

Offline BuckNasty

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:13:41 PM »
LOL as if Timber Cove is some Area 51 spot.  take a spear with your scuba tank just to piss off the purists.  don't worry, they're likely the same ones that would blast a sheepshead as if it were sporty

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:47:45 AM »
Haha no worries, it was worth seeing if anyone was curious.  I'll be out there anyway, so I'm happy to mark a few places and report back while I'm out there.  No big deal either way.

Carpe piscem

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »
Would you change your mind if he said please?

Not a chance.

LOL as if Timber Cove is some Area 51 spot.  take a spear with your scuba tank just to piss off the purists.  don't worry, they're likely the same ones that would blast a sheepshead as if it were sporty

It's not about being a purist, it's about the hunt not the harvest.  You don't need scuba to get ab or to get big ab or fish or scallops.

I don't quite understand you sheepshead reference, but you are making my point for me  There is nothing sporty about shooting SH or ling, cab, blacks, blues.  The sport is in the diving and the development of the skills necessary to find a 10 inch ab, a limit of scallops, a big ling or a red when you want to, not when dumb luck drops you on one.

You can hunt, or harvest, however you like, but I doubt you are going to get much support for marking ab or cleaning out the scallop holes on scuba.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:00:09 AM by Rob102 »

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »
It's not about being a purist, it's about having good ethics.  Like Rob said, it's about the hunt and not about the harvest.  I think some people have it backwards though...it's all about the "trophy" and not how you obtain it.  Ethics become more refined as a diver matures.
Ken Butler

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
...You can hunt, or harvest, however you like, but I doubt you are going to get much support for marking ab or cleaning out the scallop holes on scuba.

I'm inclined to go along with you on this one.

I'm proud of the large scallop-shells I've taken while freediving, Using SCUBA would've erased that feeling.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
IMHO, if it's about the trophy, or some kinda competition, then you need to get some penis enlargement, because that is what you are really talking about...no matter what you hunt.  It's about enjoying the sport, getting what you came to get out of it.  If you wanna SCUBA, and it's legal to take something on SCUBA, and you enjoy it, don't waste it, then by all means, have at it.

I go to enjoy.  enjoy the place, the friends, the diving, the food, etc.  killing something just to show that I have the biggest, that I have the best skill set, or whatever???  Not for me...I am fine with my dick.

Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
Then by all means Mike, give the lad your spots.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »
Don't dive Sonoma much...
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
Amazing, I didn't expect this post to cause such a stir.  Interesting stuff though.

I've been doing a fair amount of both this year (about one free dive trip a week, and then one scuba trip every week or two), and I think both have their merits.  Freediving is an awesome way to hunt and I find it really relaxing.  I also like the skill and breath hold aspect.

I know scuba and pulling game of any sort gets knocked a lot, but having been a scuba diver for just over 10 years now (started in high school), I think it adds an awesome aspect to the activity.  You focus more on the details of an area you might miss otherwise.  I wouldn't call scuba spearing/gathering scallops a sportsman-like, but if you're being responsible with your catch, I don't see much harm in it.  Much better than buying farm raised stuff and gets you out in the water.

Anyhow, my apologies for creating the contention.  Was just trying to see if anyone wanted some info on a place they were thinking of while I'm out there anyway. 

Maybe I'll just end up diving the USS Norlina wreck at Salt Point instead and skip the invertebrates then.
Carpe piscem

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »
I went back and read the whole post again to see if I missed anything....I gotta say guys I don't see mention about plans on clearing out scallop holes or marking tens. Objectively looked at it appears the gentleman was simply asking for any advice someone would give for locations around timber cove.

I realize numerous members here have trophy spots that they wouldn't tell their grandmother about but don't see timber cove as being one of those. I don't scuba but don't feel that's a reason to bust somebody's balls if they do? Just my thoughts.....feel free to yell at me lol!
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »
I'm just stoked to get called a gentleman...hahaha.
Carpe piscem

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 11:25:16 PM »
I went back and read the whole post again to see if I missed anything....I gotta say guys I don't see mention about plans on clearing out scallop holes or marking tens. Objectively looked at it appears the gentleman was simply asking for any advice someone would give for locations around timber cove.

I realize numerous members here have trophy spots that they wouldn't tell their grandmother about but don't see timber cove as being one of those. I don't scuba but don't feel that's a reason to bust somebody's balls if they do? Just my thoughts.....feel free to yell at me lol!

I can't see why someone would mark small ab on scuba.  You can fall in the water and land on an 8" ab.  I brought up the "cleaning out the scallop holes".  If you've ever tried to get a limit of scallops then you know how few and far between they are which is why people don't share those locations, especially on a public forum.  Scallop hunting on scuba is legal though, probably just because the species is not well regulated and maybe because most divers don't find them.  Abalone on the other hand is well regulated, and marking them on scuba, if not illegal is a grey area.  Section 86 of the fish and game code defines "take" as "hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill, or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill."  Personally I would define scouting or marking them for later as "hunting", but I'm not a LEO.  Looking at this objectively what is your interpretation? 

RottieOwner, I'm not trying to "bust your balls".  I'm sure you have no intention of breaking any law or doing anything unethical.   

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt