collapse

Author Topic: 3 divers dead this weekend Sonoma and Mendo  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
Re: 3 divers dead this weekend Sonoma and Mendo
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
Who on this forum regularly practices OUOD(One up one down)?  I too have taken a freediving class but do not practice OUOD.  That's why I ask the question because I have dove with a lot of other divers and have yet to dive with someone that practices this.  I realize this is the safest method of diving but seriously who does it?  I have a hard time with all of this because everytime the ocean takes a life this is the most popular topic that comes up.  Just curious
Ken Butler

Offline Sea-n-Ski

• Morgan Hill Grady-White Owners Club
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 09:25:33 PM »
Rafterman,

I've been diving since the 70's and always felt I was satisfying the dive buddy requirement by staying within about 50 meters of my buddy and practicing Brandon's "I look around and do a head and float line check everytime i surface. I wont dive again until i see everyone" method.

Thank you for posting and advocating the OUOD method and for including the messages from Jake and Mandy-Rae!

After reading how a dive buddy team can practice OUOD and cover each other's backs, I really am interested in learning to follow Mandy-Rae's method:
"tell each other which direction we are headed. This way you are looking for them to surface in the right area and know about what time they will be back up. Once they surface you swim over to them and continue to watch them recover"  That seems like a great safety practice that might be as a more efficient way to cover ground looking for pockets of larger abs.

I for one am anxious to take a professional freediving course and ready to learn and practice OUOD.  I would like to enroll in an upcoming PFI class.  Anyone know the where and when of upcoming courses in Norcal?

Thanks,
Chuck
I wish that I was out on the water instead of sitting here playing with this computer...

Offline Heathman1476

• http://www.pacificnaluspearfishing.com/
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »
It depends on who I'm with. Some people I dive with we are always keeping a visual on who's up who's down and we never spread out father than a quick swim. For instance the M&G. Everyone seemed to stay in packs of what they were comfortable with.
I have other friends that seperate pretty far a part and are usually really good about ouod. We know who is good who is not and who is just not feeling well. I dropped 5lbs out of my belt at the M&G just cause I had dove the day before so my suit was less buoyant and was tired.
The world is made up of 71 percent water. Go grab your wet suit and lets go diving...

http://www.pacificnaluspearfishing.com/

My you tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/Heathman1476/

Offline rafterman

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
Just thinking about it one down and two up is better for hunting and timing your dive, If you really want to ZEn out before you go down and get the best down time 2-up,1-dw would be best, this is how the classes are run when line diving for depth. if you do the math with three divers it would be something like a dive every 4 to 6 minutes or less if your dives where less than a minute.

Guys let face it...it is about the swim, the floating and the flying in water that counts, the longer you stay down the better. Free diving as been going on for ages, learning to free dive is a new sport and the leading team in the WORLD teaching that sport is PFI ...hands the best in the world.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:27:57 AM by rafterman »
Do what You want to do…

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
I disagree.  But that's ok, it's not the point.  The point is to be safe out there.  I always tell the guys I take diving, if you're passing 30-40 feet or staying down longer that 30-40 seconds it could save your life to take a class.  The beginners class runs about $300 and it teaches everything you need to become as good a diver as 90% of those on the coast.  I think there are good instructors and bad instructors in any organization so find an instructor that you like and trust and take the course. 

David Laird of Wallins has been teaching freediving longer than either of them and he has a really decent class on the basics for around $200 I think.  I don't think it's as detailed or advanced but if cost is a factor it is an option.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
I also disagree.  Nobody is going to define what diving is or what it is about, for me.  I would say that the best freedive instruction is the one you get and not necessarily the one claims to be the best.  All we need from a freediving class is safety.  All we want from the class is more depth and bottom time.  I think I have learned both from FII.   If I wanted the deepest I would have gone to Apnea Academy, but I'm not a purist freediver, I'm a spearo/ab diver.  That's why I took the class from a spearo.   Well, for that reason and because the PFI guy wouldn't return my emails.  I contacted a guy in Ukiah from PFI three times to set up a class.  He contacted me once to tell me how the class would improve my diving but he never returned any other emails to set it up. 

As far as OUOD, it's a good advice and may be safer.  Then again I tend to extend my bottom times when there is a look out, which may not be safer.  As far as two up one down, forget it!  I came to dive not wait my turn.  I plan on making 100 dives, minimum.  That's about 6 hours.  If I did TUOD that would be a 12 hour day.  I would freeze waiting for two guys. 

Offline ademite

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
my prayers to the friends and families. :(

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt