collapse

Author Topic: 3 divers dead this weekend Sonoma and Mendo  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Newgun

Re: 3 divers dead this weekend Sonoma and Mendo
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
I've only dove 5 times and ive already seriously contemplated diving alone, a few times.  It's just so tempting. 

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »
I have a real hard time with the one up one down method. I look around and do a head and float line check everytime i surface. I wont dive again until i see everyone. I dont like being tangled in my buddies float line and im sure he feels the same. Wr are usually not more than 15 feet away just not rite next to each other.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline underwater1

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »
I strongly encourage everyone to take a freedivng class.  I dive much safer now that I know how to recognize the signs of a near shallow water blackout.  This helps me be more relaxed in the water and have more fun.  I is fair to say that prior to taking the class, I was doing an unsafe breath up regiment, and I am lucky that I didn't become a statistic. The class was one of the best investments I have ever made.  Did I mention that they teach you now to lower your heart rate?  Besides increasing your down time, it is pretty cool to be able to learn to control your heart rate just because it feels good.

Offline rafterman

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 07:28:10 AM »
Live and learn if you don't who knows what will happen.
OUOD method does work and in many ways the best way to dive but new things are hard to do.
Nor cal diving a little different that open water diving.

Do what You want to do…

Offline H2O Jack G.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »
Henry at Fiskmill on Sunday morning.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline H2O Jack G.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »
Take care all.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »
And truly, is OUOD going to help you 40+ foot divers, if you DON'T use a floatline?  Who knows where the heck you are?
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline todd

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »
I dont dive with a partner but when I do my best diving bud is deaf as a door nail, we paddle out but I dont know sign language so its stressful for me.

"hey I found a big ab in a cave, can you watch my back"...."what?"  "can you spot me, please?" ....."what did you say? I cant hear you"....."read my lips, no new taxes"...... "oh you found a big ab, nice"......makes diving by myself on the lost coast seem reasonable.  After we get out " I thought we were going to stick with OUOD?  In this case if he didnt have a float line it would be way worse.  So it was more me watching him and when he got his limit then it was my turn to dive.  UOUD doesnt work out always, its more about watch your partner going up and down until he pops and ab, then its my turn to search, mark, and pop on multiple dives.......so Im the lure for the landlord while he gets it done and then we switch it up and he trys his luck on the top while I get my abs. this does help with my bottom time because you have time to get your body ready to dive, concentrate on breathing and relax everything.   
Todd Stagnaro

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »
I dont dive with a partner but when I do my best diving bud is deaf as a door nail, we paddle out but I dont know sign language so its stressful for me.

"hey I found a big ab in a cave, can you watch my back"...."what?"  "can you spot me, please?" ....."what did you say? I cant hear you"....."read my lips, no new taxes"...... "oh you found a big ab, nice"......makes diving by myself on the lost coast seem reasonable.  After we get out " I thought we were going to stick with OUOD?  In this case if he didnt have a float line it would be way worse.  So it was more me watching him and when he got his limit then it was my turn to dive.  UOUD doesnt work out always, its more about watch your partner going up and down until he pops and ab, then its my turn to search, mark, and pop on multiple dives.......so Im the lure for the landlord while he gets it done and then we switch it up and he trys his luck on the top while I get my abs. this does help with my bottom time because you have time to get your body ready to dive, concentrate on breathing and relax everything.   
That's why god made hand signals brother.  You don't have to know sign language, just a few signs agreed upon by the two of you.  Make a peace sign with your first two fingers then point your fingers at your eyes, that means watch me.  Do the same and point at your buddy and that means I'll watch you.  the ok sign of touching your index finger to your thumb is a question and an answer.  Are you ok? I'm ok.  Those are signs I use on almost every dive even with buddies that can hear.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
And truly, is OUOD going to help you 40+ foot divers, if you DON'T use a floatline?  Who knows where the heck you are?

If it doesn't work it will at least give the recovery team a place to focus their attention.

MN

Offline rafterman

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
If you want, there is a Protocol to OUOD diving which is not hard to learn and fallow but you know how it is people will do what they do. If you are Not diving the OUOD method it is like driving a car without a seat belt, no problem until there is a problem.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:16:06 PM by rafterman »
Do what You want to do…

Offline todd

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

[/quote]
That's why god made hand signals brother.  You don't have to know sign language, just a few signs agreed upon by the two of you.  Make a peace sign with your first two fingers then point your fingers at your eyes, that means watch me.  Do the same and point at your buddy and that means I'll watch you.  the ok sign of touching your index finger to your thumb is a question and an answer.  Are you ok? I'm ok.  Those are signs I use on almost every dive even with buddies that can hear.
[/quote]

yeah Im all about hand signals now, its more important to get your act together on the beach before entering the water.  Especially new buddies need to agree upon protocol and signals before the trouble starts.  One time my deaf friend was diving through thick feather boa and I am afraid of that stuff, dont want to go near it from past bad experience.   it was hard to get his attention since he as so concentrated on getting to the bottom of it for the abs.  I basically had to grab him between dives and man handle him to a better spot less surgy spot because he wasnt even making eye contact with me or checking in.  So its hard when you dive with someone thats not as alert as you or not as concerned in various ways.... surfing kind of helps you deal with bad things happening, Ive had my two wave hold downs, caught leashes, board hitting me in the head.  I think diving is safer for me having gone through the trama of surfing the north coast.  Having your act together on the beach with save you when you need help in the ocean.
Todd Stagnaro

Offline rafterman

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »
FYI dive buddies...This is from the Queen of free diving.

I am a pacific diver too. Based in British columbia canada. I have dove both Scuba and Freediving out here since 1994.  I have dove in 100ft vis but most of the time the vis is very limited. Sometimes you can't see a hand in front of your face. Those extremely bad days you make the call, for safety reasons, to get out of the water.

On the normal days with 5-20ft vis we always use 1 up 1 down. In reduced vis you add timing into the mix and tell each other which direction we are headed. This way you are looking for them to surface in the right area and know about what time they will be back up. Once they surface you swim over to them and continue to watch them recover for a min of 30sec.

I have seen a lot of black outs and have lived through 14 of my own. I can tell you that 1 up 1 down is your best chance of surviving a Blackout. Why anyone would wish to play the odds and choose to dive solo I don't know. I love Freediving and my family and want to continue to be around for both for a long time to come.

After teaching freediving for the last 10 years I can also tell you that, unfortunately, there are people that will not listen and learn. Instead excuses are made and they continue to dive alone, or not practice the safety protocols they were taught (if they even have training) and the rest of us are left having this same discussion each time another person passes on.

I for one will not freedive without direct supervision of a trained buddy. I have heard many stories of people that are no longer here and in almost all you can say there wasn't direct supervision with a trained buddy. In all the blackouts I have personally seen or been part of, where there was direct supervision of a trained buddy, the people are here to tell their stories. 

I trust that.

Mandy-Rae Krack
Performance Freediving International
Phone: 1-866-388-6595 ext 700
www.performancefreediving.com

"I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. " ~ Mother Teresa
Do what You want to do…

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
+1
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

Offline JWR

• If it walks, crawls, swims or flies it's dinner.
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »
As a 30 yr ab diver who was self taught and knew I had some bad technique I finally ponied up the money to pay PFI to teach me how to hold my breath last fall.  Best money I ever spent. 

Hit a new personal best depth and static breathhold that was twice what I had done before.  I won't hunt at those depths or times but knowing that I can do it keeps me more calm and my heart rate down where I do hunt.

1/3 of the class was about physiology, 1/3 about technique and 1/3 about recovery breathing and how to rescue a buddy.  OUOD aint that hard.  There is only a few minutes that separate a rescue from a body recovery.
"A man is about as happy as he makes his mind up to be." - A. Lincoln

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt